Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to tell if a cutting has taken?

How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

It doesn't die:-) Well that's how I tell!

Mike
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/05/2012 12:10, Timothy Murphy wrote:
How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

Leave well alone until roots poke out the bottom or the top growth is
starting to get too big - whichever happens first.

Most plants resent root disturbance to some extent.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:

How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

How to tell if cuttings have rooted; either, look at the

bottom
drainage hole for signs of white root emerging. But you're

unlikely to see
that after 3 weeks.

Thanks for your response.
I'll leave the cuttings a little longer.
But roughly how long would you expect them to take?

They are mainly ceanothus cuttings.
I was hoping to take them to Italy.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 11, 12:10*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Yours is a real piece of string qestion.
Some cuttings like Chrysanth and Fuchia could be rooted quite well in
3 weeks whilst othersubjects like some shrub cuttings could take 9
months or longer to root properly.
It is always a help to give as much info in your origional question
and not wait for someone to drag it out of you.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Janet wrote:

How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

How to tell if cuttings have rooted; either, look at the

bottom
drainage hole for signs of white root emerging. But you're

unlikely to see
that after 3 weeks.

Thanks for your response.
I'll leave the cuttings a little longer.
But roughly how long would you expect them to take?

They are mainly ceanothus cuttings.
I was hoping to take them to Italy.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

It depends on what they are, for some Passiflora 5 days for Lapageria
between 1 and 2 years! Ceanothus I would say 5-6 weeks in good conditions
would be a reasonable guess.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Murphy View Post
I'll leave the cuttings a little longer.
But roughly how long would you expect them to take?
Months rather than weeks.

When I take cuttings in the second half of summer, I don't repot them until at least may the following year.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
They are mainly ceanothus cuttings.
I was hoping to take them to Italy.

Why? Plants have no appreciation of art, history or architecture and their
taste in food is markedly different to ours. Trust me, a month in Tuscany
will be wasted on them. Take me instead.
PH