GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newspaper pots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203555-newspaper-pots.html)

Rikki 15-05-2012 08:43 PM

Newspaper pots

I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

[email protected] 15-05-2012 08:50 PM

Newspaper pots

In article ,
Rikki wrote:

I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

So have I, but for longer. I very much doubt it. In any case,
you won't absorb enough arsenic to be a problem - you need a
certain amount in your diet, anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Steerpike 15-05-2012 08:50 PM

Newspaper pots

On May 15, 8:43*pm, Rikki wrote:
I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

Plenty of poison in the corporate media certainly! In recent years
this has proved fatal to many hundreds of thousands of people who have
died as a result of this...............

Jake 15-05-2012 09:10 PM

Newspaper pots

On Tue, 15 May 2012 20:50:23 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In article ,
Rikki wrote:

I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

So have I, but for longer. I very much doubt it. In any case,
you won't absorb enough arsenic to be a problem - you need a
certain amount in your diet, anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I've read somewhere that if you want to make newspaper pots you should
avoid pages with coloured inks on them. I occasionally feed shredded
newspaper to the worms (they love a bit of variety) but studiously
avoid coloured stuff.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

sowitgrowit! 15-05-2012 09:11 PM

Newspaper pots

I believe newsprint is now vegetable based. I'm sure someone will come along with more (better?) information and put me right if necessary.

Jamie.

Dave Hill 15-05-2012 09:12 PM

Newspaper pots

On May 15, 8:43*pm, Rikki wrote:
I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

If that was the case then you would absorb more through your skin
reading the paper every day

Pete C[_3_] 15-05-2012 09:16 PM

Newspaper pots

"Rikki" wrote in message
I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

I've never made paper pots because the paper is bleached with chlorine.
Pete C

Peter James[_4_] 16-05-2012 07:44 AM

Newspaper pots

Rikki wrote:

I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

Me too. But for years I've done this. I'm still here, and so are the
vegetables and flowers I propagate in them.

Arsenic is a common element within the soil itself, and I'm sure a
trace in the paper pots won't make the slightest difference to your
crops. Keep doing it and save on manufactured fiber pots.

Peter

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797

harry 16-05-2012 08:01 AM

Newspaper pots

On May 15, 8:43*pm, Rikki wrote:
I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

There is no arsenic in newsprint.
At one time it contained antimony which is nearly as bad but no longer
the case.

The coloured inks should be avoided as they contain heavy metal
oxides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink#Hea...mental_aspects

harry 16-05-2012 08:01 AM

Newspaper pots

On May 15, 9:16*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
"Rikki" wrote in message

I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

I've never made paper pots because the paper is bleached with chlorine.
Pete C

No chlorine remains in the paper.