Old 15-05-2012, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Newspaper pots

I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.
Old 15-05-2012, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rikki wrote:

I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

So have I, but for longer. I very much doubt it. In any case,
you won't absorb enough arsenic to be a problem - you need a
certain amount in your diet, anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-05-2012, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 15, 8:43*pm, Rikki wrote:
I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

Plenty of poison in the corporate media certainly! In recent years
this has proved fatal to many hundreds of thousands of people who have
died as a result of this...............

Old 15-05-2012, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I believe newsprint is now vegetable based. I'm sure someone will come along with more (better?) information and put me right if necessary.

Jamie.

Old 15-05-2012, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 15, 8:43*pm, Rikki wrote:
I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

If that was the case then you would absorb more through your skin
reading the paper every day
Old 15-05-2012, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rikki" wrote in message
I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

I've never made paper pots because the paper is bleached with chlorine.
Pete C

Old 16-05-2012, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rikki wrote:

I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

Me too. But for years I've done this. I'm still here, and so are the
vegetables and flowers I propagate in them.

Arsenic is a common element within the soil itself, and I'm sure a
trace in the paper pots won't make the slightest difference to your
crops. Keep doing it and save on manufactured fiber pots.

Peter

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 16-05-2012, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 15, 8:43*pm, Rikki wrote:
I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

There is no arsenic in newsprint.
At one time it contained antimony which is nearly as bad but no longer
the case.

The coloured inks should be avoided as they contain heavy metal
oxides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink#Hea...mental_aspects
Old 16-05-2012, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 15, 9:16*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
"Rikki" wrote in message

I have been making my pots out of newspaper for the last couple of
years, but someone has piped up that newspaper has arsenic in it and
it's dangerous to use. Can anyone tell me if it's true please.

I've never made paper pots because the paper is bleached with chlorine.
Pete C

No chlorine remains in the paper.

newspaper starter pots faeychild Australia 1 13-10-2008 11:11 PM
newspaper pots agentelrond Gardening 4 01-06-2008 11:19 PM
recycling news - newspaper pots Salty Thumb Gardening 5 23-02-2004 02:34 AM
Weed mat vs Newspaper Gen Australia 10 21-07-2003 04:33 PM
Newspaper seed tubes? Charlie United Kingdom 14 29-03-2003 07:56 AM