GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Euphorbia mellifera (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204102-euphorbia-mellifera.html)

SIMON SUTCLIFFE 19-06-2012 01:47 PM

Euphorbia mellifera

I am very keen to grow Euphorbia mellifera. You rarely see it offered by garden centres? Is it difficult to grow? Any tips on it's cultivation and where to obtain seeds would be great!

'Mike'[_4_] 19-06-2012 04:30 PM

Euphorbia mellifera

"SIMON SUTCLIFFE" wrote in
message ...

--
SIMON SUTCLIFFE

Any of these any use?

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinde...ns.asp?ID=7071

Kind regards

Mike

Janet 19-06-2012 05:23 PM

Euphorbia mellifera

In article ,
says...

I am very keen to grow Euphorbia mellifera. You rarely see it offered by
garden centres?

Possibly because of the skin hazard around less experienced
gardeners/staff

Is it difficult to grow?Any tips on it's cultivation
and where to obtain seeds would be great!

It's not difficult to grow if you live in a mild area or have a
sheltered sunny spot. Our winters are mild and wet and it thrives here
(west coast Scotland). A very handsome architectural plant all year round
and fragrant in flower.

For a herbaceous plant it gets BIG, reaching at least 6ft in all
directions, and I very much recommend you don't plant it close to a path
in reach of people/dogs brushing past, because contact can cause skin
irritation and broken stems literally pour irritant white sap.

Binny's have it in pots

http://binnyplants.com/Catalogue_Pla...sp?PlantID=652

Janet

kay 19-06-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIMON SUTCLIFFE (Post 962247)
I am very keen to grow Euphorbia mellifera. You rarely see it offered by garden centres? Is it difficult to grow? Any tips on it's cultivation and where to obtain seeds would be great!

it's easy to grow but less tolerant of cold than most euphorbias, so grow it in a warm spot. Mine was under the kitchen window on a south facing wall; even so, I lost it last winter (though this is Yorkshire). It was at least 10 years old, possibly 15.

They grow large - a 6ft football.

They grow from seed fairly readily - I have seedlings in various pots - I always keep them in case I lose the main plant.

David Hill 20-06-2012 09:28 AM

Euphorbia mellifera

On 2012-06-19 13:47:43 +0100, SIMON SUTCLIFFE
said:

I am very keen to grow Euphorbia mellifera. You rarely see it offered by
garden centres? Is it difficult to grow? Any tips on it's cultivation
and where to obtain seeds would be great!

You don't say where you are and that is something anyone needs to know.
It grows well here and the honey scent is very obvious on a warm day.
Even though it was cut back by harsh weather a couple of years ago, it
has come back and is doing well, so I think it's a bit tougher than
people may think. Ours has some shelter from the canopy of a large
beech tree but otherwise isn't 'coddled' in any way.

Sacha, you don't say where you are either, it's OK for most of us but
for new posters you could be any where.
David @ the sunny part of Swansea Bay

David Hill 20-06-2012 09:29 AM

Euphorbia mellifera

On 2012-06-19 13:47:43 +0100, SIMON SUTCLIFFE
said:

I am very keen to grow Euphorbia mellifera. You rarely see it offered by
garden centres? Is it difficult to grow? Any tips on it's cultivation
and where to obtain seeds would be great!

You don't say where you are and that is something anyone needs to know.
It grows well here and the honey scent is very obvious on a warm day.
Even though it was cut back by harsh weather a couple of years ago, it
has come back and is doing well, so I think it's a bit tougher than
people may think. Ours has some shelter from the canopy of a large
beech tree but otherwise isn't 'coddled' in any way.

Sorry just noticed you have South Devon at the bottom of your sig.