Old 19-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Hever
Default Euphorbia mellifera

I am very keen to grow Euphorbia mellifera. You rarely see it offered by garden centres? Is it difficult to grow? Any tips on it's cultivation and where to obtain seeds would be great!
Old 19-06-2012, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"SIMON SUTCLIFFE" wrote in
message ...

--
SIMON SUTCLIFFE

Any of these any use?

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinde...ns.asp?ID=7071

Kind regards

Mike

Old 19-06-2012, 08:17 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON SUTCLIFFE View Post
I am very keen to grow Euphorbia mellifera. You rarely see it offered by garden centres? Is it difficult to grow? Any tips on it's cultivation and where to obtain seeds would be great!
it's easy to grow but less tolerant of cold than most euphorbias, so grow it in a warm spot. Mine was under the kitchen window on a south facing wall; even so, I lost it last winter (though this is Yorkshire). It was at least 10 years old, possibly 15.

They grow large - a 6ft football.

They grow from seed fairly readily - I have seedlings in various pots - I always keep them in case I lose the main plant.
__________________
Old 20-06-2012, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-19 13:47:43 +0100, SIMON SUTCLIFFE
said:

I am very keen to grow Euphorbia mellifera. You rarely see it offered by
garden centres? Is it difficult to grow? Any tips on it's cultivation
and where to obtain seeds would be great!

You don't say where you are and that is something anyone needs to know.
It grows well here and the honey scent is very obvious on a warm day.
Even though it was cut back by harsh weather a couple of years ago, it
has come back and is doing well, so I think it's a bit tougher than
people may think. Ours has some shelter from the canopy of a large
beech tree but otherwise isn't 'coddled' in any way.

Sacha, you don't say where you are either, it's OK for most of us but
for new posters you could be any where.
David @ the sunny part of Swansea Bay

Old 20-06-2012, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-19 13:47:43 +0100, SIMON SUTCLIFFE
said:

I am very keen to grow Euphorbia mellifera. You rarely see it offered by
garden centres? Is it difficult to grow? Any tips on it's cultivation
and where to obtain seeds would be great!

You don't say where you are and that is something anyone needs to know.
It grows well here and the honey scent is very obvious on a warm day.
Even though it was cut back by harsh weather a couple of years ago, it
has come back and is doing well, so I think it's a bit tougher than
people may think. Ours has some shelter from the canopy of a large
beech tree but otherwise isn't 'coddled' in any way.

Sorry just noticed you have South Devon at the bottom of your sig.

Mellifera or Mellifica Plant Science 1 26-08-2004 05:11 PM
Euphorbia mellifera Chris Boulby United Kingdom 13 19-03-2004 08:35 AM
Euphorbia mellifera Chris Boulby United Kingdom 0 18-03-2004 01:21 PM
Euphorbia mellifera lookalike ? papa United Kingdom 1 13-02-2003 05:12 PM