GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204288-plant-id-please.html)

intel 03-07-2012 01:19 PM

Plant ID Please

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks

echinosum 03-07-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intel (Post 963370)
I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks

Snapdragon or antirrhinum, comes in many varieties, grows easily, selfseeds too.

intel 03-07-2012 05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, are these classed as an hardy annual? and what time of year would you expect to see the seed pods please.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 03-07-2012 05:12 PM

Plant ID Please

In message , intel
writes

I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to
about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy
some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks

|Filename: flowers 1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119|

Looks like a peloric ("snap-less") snapdragon.

--
intel

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

echinosum 03-07-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intel (Post 963398)
Thanks for the reply, are these classed as an hardy annual? and what time of year would you expect to see the seed pods please.

In principle they are perennials, but being mediterranean in origin they often don't survive an English winter, so they are generally treated as annuals in Britain. They flower over a period, so some seedpods form quite early, from midsummer onwards, ripening from late summer into early autumn.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 04-07-2012 03:24 PM

Plant ID Please

On 03/07/2012 17:12, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , intel
writes

I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to
about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy
some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks

|Filename: flowers 1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119|

Looks like a peloric ("snap-less") snapdragon.

I don't grow them, and have not found it easy to find a photo on the
internet which includes a good view of their leaves, but couldn't these
be penstemons?

--

Jeff

David Hill 04-07-2012 03:44 PM

Plant ID Please

On 04/07/2012 15:24, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 03/07/2012 17:12, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , intel
writes

I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to
about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy
some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks

|Filename: flowers 1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119|

Looks like a peloric ("snap-less") snapdragon.

I don't grow them, and have not found it easy to find a photo on the
internet which includes a good view of their leaves, but couldn't these
be penstemons?

They are snapdragons, or antirrhinums both open flowered and traditional
David At the wet end of Swansea bay where the rain has actually stopped
for a short while.

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 07-07-2012 12:51 PM

Plant ID Please

In article , David Hill
writes
They are snapdragons, or antirrhinums both open flowered and traditional
David At the wet end of Swansea bay where the rain has actually stopped
for a short while.

Blimey David it's coming down in stair rods here, then a bit of sun
then more stair rods!!

Gardening in Amersham and about to help move a friends garden in
Wendover into her field with a very large digger:)
--
Janet Tweedy

David Hill 07-07-2012 02:04 PM

Plant ID Please

On 07/07/2012 12:51, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , David Hill
writes
They are snapdragons, or antirrhinums both open flowered and traditional
David At the wet end of Swansea bay where the rain has actually
stopped for a short while.

Blimey David it's coming down in stair rods here, then a bit of sun
then more stair rods!!

Gardening in Amersham and about to help move a friends garden in
Wendover into her field with a very large digger:)

Look at the date Janet, that was a couple of days ago.

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 08-07-2012 12:07 AM

Plant ID Please

In article , David Hill
writes
Look at the date Janet, that was a couple of days ago.

So was the stair rods!! And still is, the patio is awash today, and the
roads treacherous with huge swathes of water across the country lanes in
places. Looks like more of the same until at least Saturday!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph