Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Registered User

Default Plant ID Please

I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Plant ID Please-flowers-1.jpg
Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by intel View Post
I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks
Snapdragon or antirrhinum, comes in many varieties, grows easily, selfseeds too.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the reply, are these classed as an hardy annual? and what time of year would you expect to see the seed pods please.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , intel
writes

I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to
about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy
some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks

|Filename: flowers 1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119|

Looks like a peloric ("snap-less") snapdragon.

--
intel

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by intel View Post
Thanks for the reply, are these classed as an hardy annual? and what time of year would you expect to see the seed pods please.
In principle they are perennials, but being mediterranean in origin they often don't survive an English winter, so they are generally treated as annuals in Britain. They flower over a period, so some seedpods form quite early, from midsummer onwards, ripening from late summer into early autumn.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/07/2012 17:12, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , intel
writes

I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to
about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy
some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks

|Filename: flowers 1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119|

Looks like a peloric ("snap-less") snapdragon.

I don't grow them, and have not found it easy to find a photo on the
internet which includes a good view of their leaves, but couldn't these
be penstemons?

--

Jeff

Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2012 15:24, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 03/07/2012 17:12, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , intel
writes

I wonder if someone could ID this plant please, it normally grows to
about 12 - 16 inchs tall and is a great looking plant, I want to buy
some more lol but dont know what to ask for...............thanks

|Filename: flowers 1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15119|

Looks like a peloric ("snap-less") snapdragon.

I don't grow them, and have not found it easy to find a photo on the
internet which includes a good view of their leaves, but couldn't these
be penstemons?

They are snapdragons, or antirrhinums both open flowered and traditional
David At the wet end of Swansea bay where the rain has actually stopped
for a short while.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hill
writes
They are snapdragons, or antirrhinums both open flowered and traditional
David At the wet end of Swansea bay where the rain has actually stopped
for a short while.

Blimey David it's coming down in stair rods here, then a bit of sun
then more stair rods!!

Gardening in Amersham and about to help move a friends garden in
Wendover into her field with a very large digger
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/07/2012 12:51, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , David Hill
writes
They are snapdragons, or antirrhinums both open flowered and traditional
David At the wet end of Swansea bay where the rain has actually
stopped for a short while.

Blimey David it's coming down in stair rods here, then a bit of sun
then more stair rods!!

Gardening in Amersham and about to help move a friends garden in
Wendover into her field with a very large digger

Look at the date Janet, that was a couple of days ago.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hill
writes
Look at the date Janet, that was a couple of days ago.

So was the stair rods!! And still is, the patio is awash today, and the
roads treacherous with huge swathes of water across the country lanes in
places. Looks like more of the same until at least Saturday!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph