GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID needed for 2 shrubs please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204297-id-needed-2-shrubs-please.html)

David56802 03-07-2012 11:52 PM

ID needed for 2 shrubs please

2 Attachment(s)
Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.

Kate Morgan 04-07-2012 08:34 AM

--
David56802

Please Sir, I know that one, it`s a ******* sorry I cant remember :-) lack
of sunshine is affecting my brain or it could be old age. I think I am going
to research labels to put on stuff to remind myself. Any one else have this
problem, remembering I mean :-(

kate

echinosum 04-07-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David56802 (Post 963433)
Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.

The first one is a hydrangea of the lace-cap type, maybe H. petiolaris, as that is perhaps the most commonly grown.

The second one is an ornmental pear, maybe willow-leafed pear, Pyrus salicifolia or Pyrus nivalis, snow pear. The first is more pendulous, so for "hanging over a wall", perhaps that is more likely.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 04-07-2012 12:51 PM

"David56802" wrote in message

Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be
pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.

|Filename: shrub1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15120|
|Filename: shrub2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15121|

David56802

First is Hydrangea petiolaris as already suggested, this is a self clinging
climber I thought the second was Cotoneaster until the weeping pear was
suggested so I obviously don't now that!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

David Hill 04-07-2012 01:21 PM

On 04/07/2012 12:51, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"David56802" wrote in message

Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be
pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.

|Filename: shrub1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15120|
|Filename: shrub2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15121|

David56802

First is Hydrangea petiolaris as already suggested, this is a self
clinging climber I thought the second was Cotoneaster until the weeping
pear was suggested so I obviously don't now that!

Id agree Charlie, but the second is some form of Cotoneaster, the
flowers are to small and to numerous for weeping pear.
If it is pear then you should find some thorns on the stems
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay where it's still raining.

echinosum 04-07-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hill (Post 963472)
Id agree Charlie, but the second is some form of Cotoneaster, the
flowers are to small and to numerous for weeping pear.
If it is pear then you should find some thorns on the stems
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay where it's still raining.

On closer examination of OP's picture, the leaf margins are serrated.

I'm thinking with those serrated leaf margins it must be a pyracantha, not a cotoneaster (and definitely not a pear).

Spider[_3_] 04-07-2012 05:07 PM

ID needed for 2 shrubs please

On 04/07/2012 12:51, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"David56802" wrote in message

Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be
pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.

|Filename: shrub1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15120|
|Filename: shrub2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15121|

David56802

First is Hydrangea petiolaris as already suggested, this is a self
clinging climber I thought the second was Cotoneaster until the weeping
pear was suggested so I obviously don't now that!

I'd agree that the first is Hydrangea petiolaris. I'm as sure as I can
be that the second one is Pyracantha, complete with thorns and
Pyracantha Scab.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

kay 04-07-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echinosum (Post 963479)
On closer examination of OP's picture, the leaf margins are serrated.

I'm thinking with those serrated leaf margins it must be a pyracantha, not a cotoneaster (and definitely not a pear).

Yes, I think it's a pyracantha.

David56802 04-07-2012 11:01 PM

Thanks. You're all amazing!