Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Registered User

Default ID needed for 2 shrubs please

Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.
Attached Thumbnails
ID needed for 2 shrubs please-shrub1.jpg   ID needed for 2 shrubs please-shrub2.jpg
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
David56802

Please Sir, I know that one, it`s a ******* sorry I cant remember :-) lack
of sunshine is affecting my brain or it could be old age. I think I am going
to research labels to put on stuff to remind myself. Any one else have this
problem, remembering I mean :-(

kate

Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David56802 View Post
Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.
The first one is a hydrangea of the lace-cap type, maybe H. petiolaris, as that is perhaps the most commonly grown.

The second one is an ornmental pear, maybe willow-leafed pear, Pyrus salicifolia or Pyrus nivalis, snow pear. The first is more pendulous, so for "hanging over a wall", perhaps that is more likely.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David56802" wrote in message
news

Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be
pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.

|Filename: shrub1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15120|
|Filename: shrub2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15121|

David56802

First is Hydrangea petiolaris as already suggested, this is a self clinging
climber I thought the second was Cotoneaster until the weeping pear was
suggested so I obviously don't now that!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2012 12:51, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"David56802" wrote in message
news

Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be
pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.

|Filename: shrub1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15120|
|Filename: shrub2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15121|

David56802

First is Hydrangea petiolaris as already suggested, this is a self
clinging climber I thought the second was Cotoneaster until the weeping
pear was suggested so I obviously don't now that!

Id agree Charlie, but the second is some form of Cotoneaster, the
flowers are to small and to numerous for weeping pear.
If it is pear then you should find some thorns on the stems
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay where it's still raining.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
Id agree Charlie, but the second is some form of Cotoneaster, the
flowers are to small and to numerous for weeping pear.
If it is pear then you should find some thorns on the stems
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay where it's still raining.
On closer examination of OP's picture, the leaf margins are serrated.

I'm thinking with those serrated leaf margins it must be a pyracantha, not a cotoneaster (and definitely not a pear).
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2012 12:51, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"David56802" wrote in message
news

Can you help me identify the following tall shrubs? They seem to be
pretty common, and usually found overhanging a wall.

|Filename: shrub1.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15120|
|Filename: shrub2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15121|

David56802

First is Hydrangea petiolaris as already suggested, this is a self
clinging climber I thought the second was Cotoneaster until the weeping
pear was suggested so I obviously don't now that!

I'd agree that the first is Hydrangea petiolaris. I'm as sure as I can
be that the second one is Pyracantha, complete with thorns and
Pyracantha Scab.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
On closer examination of OP's picture, the leaf margins are serrated.

I'm thinking with those serrated leaf margins it must be a pyracantha, not a cotoneaster (and definitely not a pear).
Yes, I think it's a pyracantha.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Registered User

Thanks. You're all amazing!