Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soggy

I went into town this morning to visit the library and to get some petrol.
I went to the petrol station first. As I left, there were a few spots of
rain.
As I parked in town, it was drizzling.
I came out the library and went to a shop to see if they had some small food
containers so I can make some gooseberry ice-cream [they didn't]. As I came
out, the rain was, well, rain. No probs, zipped my waterproof up and put
the hood up. Decided to get a coffee in the posh coffee shop, seeing as
it's the last day of my holiday.
On the way, just as I'd reached the point where I was further from the car
then the coffee shop, it deluged.
Discovered my waterproof is *not* waterproof.
Spent an hour in the coffee shop, with lots of others, watching the rain get
heavier and heavier. Decided that as I was wet anyway, I might as well make
a run for it.
Got to the car and realized I was now wet through.
Drove home through two floods of at least six inches and rising, one on a
roundabout, one at a major junction.
Got in and had to change completely. Gave up any idea of visiting the
lottie.
It's a lovely evening now. Spit.

--
Kathy

Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
[...]

I say, hard luck

It's a lovely evening now. Spit.

Be thankful for small mercies

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 08-07-2012, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote

[...]

Gooseberry ice-cream is stunning but did you have them in the freezer from
last year, surely yours aren't ready to pick yet. Ours are still green, not
even started to get ripe and turn yellow.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote

[...]

One bush are nice and yellow and sweet and squishy already. Don't know what
variety as it was on the lottie when we took it on. An old, established
bush, we needed to move it so we could put the shed up - which had to go in
a set corner. So we prised it out with a mattock and crowbar, breaking
roots in the process, replanted it and gave it a very bad haircut, and for
the last three years it has rewarded us with pounds and pounds of large,
luscious goosegogs :-}

--
Kathy

Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Discovered my waterproof is *not* waterproof.
Few of the breathable ones are. The good ones take longer to let the water through, but they all seem to get there eventually.
__________________

Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/09/2012 12:57 AM, Kathy wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Kathy" wrote

Gooseberry ice-cream is stunning but did you have them in the freezer
from last year, surely yours aren't ready to pick yet. Ours are still
green, not even started to get ripe and turn yellow.

One bush are nice and yellow and sweet and squishy already. Don't know
what variety as it was on the lottie when we took it on. An old,
established bush, we needed to move it so we could put the shed up -
which had to go in a set corner. So we prised it out with a mattock and
crowbar, breaking roots in the process, replanted it and gave it a very
bad haircut, and for the last three years it has rewarded us with pounds
and pounds of large, luscious goosegogs :-}

We have some new bushes that are just starting to yield, though pounds
and pounds is still out of range. But I've never had gooseberry
ice-cream, and it sounds fantastic.

Who's got a good recipe? Have got an old-fashioned churn and teenagers
to work it!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Gooseberry ice-cream is stunning but did you have them in the freezer from
last year, surely yours aren't ready to pick yet. Ours are still green, not
even started to get ripe and turn yellow.

I started picking ours yesterday. They are huge and yellow and squishy
(the red ones aren't anywhere near ready)
The (early) red, white and (early) blackcurrants are all ripe too.