Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Realseeds

Browsing to find out about Quinoa I came across these people.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
They have quite a few seeds you can sow now to crop this year, and
several that will take wet soil.
David @ the damp, but at present sunny end of Swansea Bay
Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2012 18:31, David Hill wrote:
Browsing to find out about Quinoa I came across these people.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
They have quite a few seeds you can sow now to crop this year, and
several that will take wet soil.
David @ the damp, but at present sunny end of Swansea Bay

I had never heard of Quinoa until it came up on a TV quiz program last
night. Is that what prompted your search too?

Al.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/07/2012 12:09, Alan (BigAl) wrote:
On 09/07/2012 18:31, David Hill wrote:
Browsing to find out about Quinoa I came across these people.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
They have quite a few seeds you can sow now to crop this year, and
several that will take wet soil.
David @ the damp, but at present sunny end of Swansea Bay

I had never heard of Quinoa until it came up on a TV quiz program last
night. Is that what prompted your search too?

Al.

Yes.
Sounds good for this part of the world. 6 plants to get a lb of seed,
that's 1.2 million seeds
Good job they don't have to be husked.
David

Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

"Alan (BigAl)" wrote:
Browsing to find out about Quinoa I came across these people.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
They have quite a few seeds you can sow now to crop this year, and
several that will take wet soil.
David @ the damp, but at present sunny end of Swansea Bay

I had never heard of Quinoa until it came up on a TV quiz program last
night. Is that what prompted your search too?

We've been eating it for a while, it's a nice change from rice or pasta.
Although mostly i dont' think about it automatically so it sits in the
back of the cupboard a lot of the time.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2012 02:07 PM, wrote:
"Alan (BigAl)" wrote:
Browsing to find out about Quinoa I came across these people.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
They have quite a few seeds you can sow now to crop this year, and
several that will take wet soil.
David @ the damp, but at present sunny end of Swansea Bay

I had never heard of Quinoa until it came up on a TV quiz program last
night. Is that what prompted your search too?

We've been eating it for a while, it's a nice change from rice or pasta.
Although mostly i dont' think about it automatically so it sits in the
back of the cupboard a lot of the time.

Yes it's really very tasty. The wife and I try to only eat one meal
with meat on weekdays, so we make the rounds of different grains.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Emery Davis wrote:
I had never heard of Quinoa until it came up on a TV quiz program last
night. Is that what prompted your search too?

We've been eating it for a while, it's a nice change from rice or pasta.
Although mostly i dont' think about it automatically so it sits in the
back of the cupboard a lot of the time.

Yes it's really very tasty. The wife and I try to only eat one meal
with meat on weekdays, so we make the rounds of different grains.

Oh, so you replace meat with grain? I tend to replace grain with grain. ;-)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes.
Sounds good for this part of the world. 6 plants to get a lb of seed,
that's 1.2 million seeds
Good job they don't have to be husked.
David

David, As I mentioned earlier I only heard about Quinoa yesterday for
the first time, but I found this on Wikipedia: -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

Which says -
After harvest, the grains need to be processed to remove the coating
containing the bitter-tasting saponins. Quinoa grains are in general
cooked the same way as rice and can be used in a wide range of dishes.

So I think you may need to remove the husks.

Al.