Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Parsnip Troubles

"Judith in France" wrote in message

Of course, that makes sense Tina, we do have voles. Now I have to
Google for a trap.

_____
Does your address work for private mail? I could share the knowledge I
have about how my friend tackled the voles - which, btw, spurred her into
action by eating "all" her parsnips which are hard to come by where she
lives, she ate them for the first time when she visited me in 2003 and
took
seeds back.
Vole traps are freely available in almost every hardware shop in rural
Germany and she sent me a link about how to place and set them.
If you aren't successful in your google search for vole traps I could
probably get some sent to you from Germany.

Brits who are reading this with horror as our water voles are so
endangered,
please ignore. They look the same and are alleged to be the same but the
continental version has different habits.
They are a dreadful pest to crops and newly planted trees, they chew all
the
roots off those. They don't live in rivers like ours do and do no harm, so
although I am not a scientist I cannot agree that they are one and the
same.

Anyway, Judith, I might be able to help you on this one if you cannot find
traps or knowledge on how to put them in the tunnels for the best effect.
Good luck. Maybe your neighbours know, but if not I will try to help.

Tina- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Tina, I would welcome an email from you.

____
I haven't forgotten you, Judith. I recently installed Microsoft Word whilst
still wanting to run Outlook Express on my XP machine so it's not configured
properly. It means I can't reply (instead of reply group) nor can I forward
the mails I wanted you to see about the German vole traps. I tried to
configure it yesterday and was doing well until the Wizard asked me
questions I didn't know the answers to, so I had to abandon it.

I'll have to find the German parsnip chomping e-mails and cut and paste,
give me a few days.
These are seriously good steel traps that you insert underground - not like
mousetraps.
I was planning to have my friend get a quotation for 3 or 4 vole traps plus
postage to France if you couldn't find any, and you send her the euros to do
it but she's just dislocated her shoulder :-( so I feel I cannot ask her to
do it quite yet.

It was the eating of the parsnips that was the last straw for her.
She's caught IIRC 16. She sent me a pic of the first one, and I felt so
sad - it looked exactly like the ones we are desperate to conserve.
However if they were chewing off the roots of my trees and decimating my
root veggies I would trap them too.

Tina

Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/08/2012 21:58, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Are they anything like our Tunnel traps for moles?
http://www.primrose.co.uk/mole-tunnel-trap-p-1666.html

Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

Are they anything like our Tunnel traps for moles?
http://www.primrose.co.uk/mole-tunnel-trap-p-1666.html

No, nothing like a mole trap, but unfortunately they can catch moles too.