GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what is eating my Sweetcorn ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204895-what-eating-my-sweetcorn.html)

Paul Luton[_2_] 22-08-2012 09:51 PM

what is eating my Sweetcorn ?

The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Christina Websell 22-08-2012 10:38 PM

what is eating my Sweetcorn ?

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Could be our friend the grey squirrel.

David Hill 22-08-2012 10:57 PM

what is eating my Sweetcorn ?

On 22/08/2012 21:51, Paul Luton wrote:
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

If it's total destruction then it could be a badger.

Bob Hobden 22-08-2012 11:19 PM

what is eating my Sweetcorn ?

"Paul Luton" wrote

The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Wood Mice and/or Rats.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

[email protected] 22-08-2012 11:27 PM

what is eating my Sweetcorn ?

In article ,
Paul Luton wrote:
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Raccoons?

That's one of the more common replies :-) Yes, I agree with the
idea of squirrels.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

No Name 23-08-2012 03:31 PM

what is eating my Sweetcorn ?

Paul Luton wrote:
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Rats or mice.
Apparently rats got a lot of last year's crops on the allotments

Pam Moore[_2_] 23-08-2012 03:39 PM

what is eating my Sweetcorn ?

On 23 Aug 2012 14:31:51 GMT, wrote:

Paul Luton wrote:
The usual sources say that sweetcorn is virtually free from pests and
diseases but something has found that the ones on my allotment are ripe
and is unwrapping and eating the kernels. Any suggestion of the culprit ?

Rats or mice.
Apparently rats got a lot of last year's crops on the allotments

Agreed. Badgers completely demolish the plants, as I found to my cost
the last year I bothered growing it.

Pam in Bristol