GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Problems with pathclear (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205134-problems-pathclear.html)

mark_gb 13-09-2012 11:20 AM

Problems with pathclear

I went to my local hardware store to buy some pathclear and was told that it no longer contained the same chemical due to environmental restrictions, and that the new replacement stained paths so couldn't be recommended for anything other than gravel. Has anybody else heard this or know any more details?

Many thanks

Mark

Granity 13-09-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_gb (Post 968713)
I went to my local hardware store to buy some pathclear and was told that it no longer contained the same chemical due to environmental restrictions, and that the new replacement stained paths so couldn't be recommended for anything other than gravel. Has anybody else heard this or know any more details?

Many thanks

Mark

I recently found a source of pure Sodium Chlorate by mail order from abroad at £36 a lb so I don't use path clear anymore.

Martin Brown 13-09-2012 04:31 PM

Problems with pathclear

On 13/09/2012 11:20, mark_gb wrote:
I went to my local hardware store to buy some pathclear and was told
that it no longer contained the same chemical due to environmental
restrictions, and that the new replacement stained paths so couldn't be
recommended for anything other than gravel. Has anybody else heard this
or know any more details?

I don't know if the new mix stains paths, but it is certainly true that
the old effective formulation was withdrawn for domestic use.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown