GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blackcurrant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205271-blackcurrant.html)

[email protected] 25-09-2012 03:35 PM

Blackcurrant

I picked up a very sickly blackcurrant plant, in rootball format. It sprouted anaemically in storage, most of the sprouts died off, but a few are still viable. There are no buds left on the stems. The leaves on the sprouts are just 2-3mm across. I'm wondering when's best to plant it, its seems very unprepared for life outdoors at the moment. What would you do, overwinter it indoors and put out in spring?

NT

David Hill 25-09-2012 06:21 PM

Blackcurrant

On 25/09/2012 15:35, wrote:
I picked up a very sickly blackcurrant plant, in rootball format. It sprouted anaemically in storage, most of the sprouts died off, but a few are still viable. There are no buds left on the stems. The leaves on the sprouts are just 2-3mm across. I'm wondering when's best to plant it, its seems very unprepared for life outdoors at the moment. What would you do, overwinter it indoors and put out in spring?

NT

I'm afraid I'd bin it.
Get a good healthy plant and get it into the ground when you get it.

mogga 26-09-2012 09:42 AM

Blackcurrant

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:29:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Slam it in now and let it take its chances.

It has two choices :-)

I've realised if I plant it out it has very little chance. So it can overwinter inside and go out in spring. I'll put it in a deep pot when I get a round tuit.

Its not worth going out to replace it, there's nowhere nearby.

I'm wondering how well a blackcurrant twig with roots on would surive
in the post. I've got a bucket of them that I'm slowly potting up.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

[email protected] 26-09-2012 12:11 PM

Blackcurrant

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:42:03 AM UTC+1, mogga wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:29:13 -0700 (PDT), meow2222 wrote:

Slam it in now and let it take its chances.

It has two choices :-)

I've realised if I plant it out it has very little chance. So it can overwinter inside and go out in spring. I'll put it in a deep pot when I get a round tuit.

Its not worth going out to replace it, there's nowhere nearby.

I'm wondering how well a blackcurrant twig with roots on would surive

in the post. I've got a bucket of them that I'm slowly potting up.

If it has a little wettish soil. and is wrapped in plastic, it should be absolutely fine. 250g 2nd class packet is £1.90, sounds quite doable. If you want to email me at we can swap real emails etc. Cheers..

NT

David Hill 26-09-2012 12:34 PM

Blackcurrant

I'm wondering how well a blackcurrant twig with roots on would surive

in the post. I've got a bucket of them that I'm slowly potting up.

If it has a little wettish soil. and is wrapped in plastic, it should be absolutely fine. 250g 2nd class packet is £1.90, sounds quite doable. If you want to email me at we can swap real emails etc. Cheers.

NT

DON'T use wetish soil
just a bit of damp newspaper will do the job, if it'd to wet the roots
will rot very quickly.

Spider[_3_] 26-09-2012 01:09 PM

Blackcurrant

On 25/09/2012 15:35, wrote:
I picked up a very sickly blackcurrant plant, in rootball format. It sprouted anaemically in storage, most of the sprouts died off, but a few are still viable. There are no buds left on the stems. The leaves on the sprouts are just 2-3mm across. I'm wondering when's best to plant it, its seems very unprepared for life outdoors at the moment. What would you do, overwinter it indoors and put out in spring?

NT

In your position, I would stand it in a bucket of water for a few hours
in a sheltered place outside. In the meantime, prepare a large, deep
hole in the garden. Mix some bonemeal with the backfill soil. Take the
blackcurrant from its bucket and tease the roots out a little. Put it
in the hole and backfill with the soil and bonemeal. Water it in well.
If you have a dog, or foxes in the area, lay a circle of bricks or
stone around the root zone, otherwise your plant will be dug up.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

mogga 27-09-2012 08:33 AM

Blackcurrant

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:34:00 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I'm wondering how well a blackcurrant twig with roots on would surive

in the post. I've got a bucket of them that I'm slowly potting up.

If it has a little wettish soil. and is wrapped in plastic, it should be absolutely fine. 250g 2nd class packet is £1.90, sounds quite doable. If you want to email me at we can swap real emails etc. Cheers.

NT

DON'T use wetish soil
just a bit of damp newspaper will do the job, if it'd to wet the roots
will rot very quickly.

OK! :)
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk