Old 25-09-2012, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackcurrant

I picked up a very sickly blackcurrant plant, in rootball format. It sprouted anaemically in storage, most of the sprouts died off, but a few are still viable. There are no buds left on the stems. The leaves on the sprouts are just 2-3mm across. I'm wondering when's best to plant it, its seems very unprepared for life outdoors at the moment. What would you do, overwinter it indoors and put out in spring?

NT
Old 26-09-2012, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:42:03 AM UTC+1, mogga wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:29:13 -0700 (PDT), meow2222 wrote:

Slam it in now and let it take its chances.

It has two choices :-)

I've realised if I plant it out it has very little chance. So it can overwinter inside and go out in spring. I'll put it in a deep pot when I get a round tuit.

Its not worth going out to replace it, there's nowhere nearby.

I'm wondering how well a blackcurrant twig with roots on would surive

in the post. I've got a bucket of them that I'm slowly potting up.

If it has a little wettish soil. and is wrapped in plastic, it should be absolutely fine. 250g 2nd class packet is £1.90, sounds quite doable. If you want to email me at we can swap real emails etc. Cheers..

NT
Old 26-09-2012, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'm wondering how well a blackcurrant twig with roots on would surive

in the post. I've got a bucket of them that I'm slowly potting up.

If it has a little wettish soil. and is wrapped in plastic, it should be absolutely fine. 250g 2nd class packet is £1.90, sounds quite doable. If you want to email me at we can swap real emails etc. Cheers.

NT

DON'T use wetish soil
just a bit of damp newspaper will do the job, if it'd to wet the roots
will rot very quickly.

Old 27-09-2012, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:34:00 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I'm wondering how well a blackcurrant twig with roots on would surive

in the post. I've got a bucket of them that I'm slowly potting up.

If it has a little wettish soil. and is wrapped in plastic, it should be absolutely fine. 250g 2nd class packet is £1.90, sounds quite doable. If you want to email me at we can swap real emails etc. Cheers.

NT

DON'T use wetish soil
just a bit of damp newspaper will do the job, if it'd to wet the roots
will rot very quickly.

OK!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Blackcurrant mildew advice Kase United Kingdom 0 16-05-2004 11:28 PM
blackcurrant bushes ann United Kingdom 4 13-04-2004 12:34 PM
Prune blackcurrant bushes simon United Kingdom 6 20-01-2004 07:09 PM
Prune blackcurrant bushes simon United Kingdom 1 19-01-2004 11:25 PM
need to worry about my blackcurrant bush? Margaret Paige United Kingdom 6 13-05-2003 01:32 PM