Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Birds, lack of them.

In article , The Original
Jake writes
Since I dispensed with nyger and that
rubbishy so-called "no waste, no mess" stuff, and have put out simply
sunflower hearts and peanuts, the range of species and numbers have
gone through the roof. Goldfinches love the sunflower hearts.

I don't put out fat balls any more as they have always been removed
quickly by the blasted magpies which are the local plague (and farmer
and family next door are now shooting them).

Now isn't that strange, mine have left the huge feeder with sunflower
hearts well alone and peanuts only attract woodpeckers, nyger seed
remains untouched and no goldcrests - yet in Wendover, 6 miles away my
friend has mainly goldfinches. The no waste no mess from CJ (It has to
be CJ have been finished really fast
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 08/11/2012 10:55, Baz wrote:
Malcolm wrote in
:

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Baz
writes
Well, I can't remember the last time I saw any bird in my garden
apart from pigeons.

Baz

Try changing the feed mix Baz that might help

It might be a case of "try feeding the birds, Baz" :-)

?
Baz

Which comes first the birds or the bird food?

:-) When we moved here ten years ago this month, the garden had no
bird feeders and hardly any bird cover; plenty of crows gulls and
buzzards but hardly any smaller birds were seen or heard.

Breakfasting on or below our bird tables this morning were house and
hedge sparrows, blue, coal and great tits, chaffinches, greenfinches,
robins, blackbirds, collar doves, a wood pigeon and pheasants. At the
moment I'm putting out a seed mix, wheat, fatballs and peanuts. I'll be
adding niger seed to the menu later, for the goldfinches.

Himself has counted 65 different birds in our garden but we have'nt' fed
them for years. I used in early spring when there was no seed heads but
fianlly decided it was better if they foraged ad didnt' become dependent. We
too have spent a lot of time growing plants to both feed and provide
protection for birds.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
We have far too many jackdaws, almost every unused chimney has a
family of jackdaws living it. They seem to be permanently hungry.

Probably teenagers then ................ similar to hoodie crows!
--
Janet Tweedy