GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/205768-ot-sorry-those-using-demon-turnpike.html)

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 20-11-2012 12:11 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

As the email is migrating this week does anyone know how to change the
settings on Turnpike? They giver out the method for other mailing
clients but don't mention their own software! If not my account is
doomed ...........
--
Janet Tweedy

Martin Brown 20-11-2012 01:02 PM

On 20/11/2012 12:11, Janet Tweedy wrote:
As the email is migrating this week does anyone know how to change the
settings on Turnpike? They giver out the method for other mailing
clients but don't mention their own software! If not my account is
doomed ...........

Go and look in demon.service for the threads about how to do it.
Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

usenet2012 20-11-2012 01:51 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 12:11, Janet Tweedy wrote:
As the email is migrating this week does anyone know how to change the
settings on Turnpike? They giver out the method for other mailing
clients but don't mention their own software! If not my account is
doomed ...........

Go and look in demon.service for the threads about how to do it.
Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

Sadly nothing like for our uses here. (& my SO couldn't get her head
around Forte at all).

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

Martin Brown 20-11-2012 02:12 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

On 20/11/2012 13:51, usenet2012 wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 12:11, Janet Tweedy wrote:
As the email is migrating this week does anyone know how to change the
settings on Turnpike? They giver out the method for other mailing
clients but don't mention their own software! If not my account is
doomed ...........

Go and look in demon.service for the threads about how to do it.
Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

Sadly nothing like for our uses here. (& my SO couldn't get her head
around Forte at all).

How so? TB can be made pretty similar to TP behaviour with a few tweaks.

The only thing I miss in TB cf TP is the ability to have wildcard rules.
In theory I have solved that with an addin but it never worked for me.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

usenet2012 20-11-2012 06:22 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 13:51, usenet2012 wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

Sadly nothing like for our uses here. (& my SO couldn't get her head
around Forte at all).

How so? TB can be made pretty similar to TP behaviour with a few tweaks.

The only thing I miss in TB cf TP is the ability to have wildcard rules.
In theory I have solved that with an addin but it never worked for me.

Can TB do mailing-list routing to newsgroups now?

Martin Brown 20-11-2012 08:08 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

On 20/11/2012 18:22, usenet2012 wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 13:51, usenet2012 wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

Sadly nothing like for our uses here. (& my SO couldn't get her head
around Forte at all).

How so? TB can be made pretty similar to TP behaviour with a few tweaks.

The only thing I miss in TB cf TP is the ability to have wildcard rules.
In theory I have solved that with an addin but it never worked for me.

Can TB do mailing-list routing to newsgroups now?

Never tried. Perhaps not. It can certainly do mailing list routing to
folders and have those folders display the posts in threaded fashion and
use separate distinct personalities for each folder.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 20-11-2012 09:34 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In article , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 12:11, Janet Tweedy wrote:
As the email is migrating this week does anyone know how to change the
settings on Turnpike? They giver out the method for other mailing
clients but don't mention their own software! If not my account is
doomed ...........

Go and look in demon.service for the threads about how to do it.
Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yes tried Thunderbird Martin but not good for news groups like this
whereas Turnpike does everything seamlessly!
I have looked in demon service but it tells you all about migrating and
using most software packages just not their own!

As I still can't figure out how to migrate my websites on direct-nic and
have had to leave my websites untouched for about 6 months - using my
emails is also going down the tube by the look of it :(
--
Janet Tweedy

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 20-11-2012 09:35 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In article , Martin Brown
writes
How so? TB can be made pretty similar to TP behaviour with a few
tweaks.

The only thing I miss in TB cf TP is the ability to have wildcard
rules.
In theory I have solved that with an addin but it never worked for me.

How do you get this group then martin and how did you get over all those
colours for the replies?

--
Janet Tweedy

Martin Brown 20-11-2012 10:01 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

On 20/11/2012 21:35, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Martin Brown
writes
How so? TB can be made pretty similar to TP behaviour with a few tweaks.

The only thing I miss in TB cf TP is the ability to have wildcard rules.
In theory I have solved that with an addin but it never worked for me.

How do you get this group then martin and how did you get over all those
colours for the replies?

Subrscribed to the free text Teranews server for a one time fee of $5.

Do you mean the colour coded lines according to nesting depth of quote?
I quite like them and view it as an advantage of TB over TP ditto for
the ability to define rules and test them against the mailbase and for
that matter to define global kill rules across an entire newsserver as
well as per group. Spammers are much easier to zap on TB.

Several of the experts have described in detail how to make TP5 and TP6
work with appropriate shims on the new Demon mailserver config blow by
blow. I forget whether in d.i.s.tp or d.s

You should not have to do much to get it working. I can still post using
smtp using my old Turnpike but have never bothered to allow it to read
from the new server since it is now well past its use by date on Win7.
Sometimes it is handy to send stuff out from my older machine.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Stewart Robert Hinsley 20-11-2012 10:03 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 12:11, Janet Tweedy wrote:
As the email is migrating this week does anyone know how to change the
settings on Turnpike? They giver out the method for other mailing
clients but don't mention their own software! If not my account is
doomed ...........

Go and look in demon.service for the threads about how to do it.
Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yes tried Thunderbird Martin but not good for news groups like this
whereas Turnpike does everything seamlessly!
I have looked in demon service but it tells you all about migrating and
using most software packages just not their own!

I found out how to change stuff without too much trouble, but I forget
where.

If you go to Configure|Email transfer in the Turnpike menu, you can add
a mail server. The server name is mail.demon.co.uk, and the mailbox name
is . If you ask in news:demon.service
someone should be able to give you any more details you require.

By the way, you should be able to continue using Turnpike for Usenet,
regardless of what you do for email.

As I still can't figure out how to migrate my websites on direct-nic
and have had to leave my websites untouched for about 6 months - using
my emails is also going down the tube by the look of it :(

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

bert 20-11-2012 10:15 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 20/11/2012 12:11, Janet Tweedy wrote:
As the email is migrating this week does anyone know how to change the
settings on Turnpike? They giver out the method for other mailing
clients but don't mention their own software! If not my account is
doomed ...........

Go and look in demon.service for the threads about how to do it.
Or move to Thunderbird which is almost as good.

Go to demon.ip.support.turnpike for this and any other question on TP
--
bert

bert 20-11-2012 10:19 PM

[...]

The major problem is with Demons new mail service which changes mail
headers and in doing so destroys TPs folder routing rules.
Lots of info in both aforementioned newsgroups. Lot's of helpful people
in there too.
--
bert

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 20-11-2012 10:25 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In article , Martin Brown
writes
Several of the experts have described in detail how to make TP5 and TP6
work with appropriate shims on the new Demon mailserver config blow by
blow. I forget whether in d.i.s.tp or d.s

Ah couldn't find them so will have another look - thanks
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Stewart Robert Hinsley 20-11-2012 10:25 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin Brown
writes
[...]

Oops. nezumi is Martin's domain, not Janet's. Sorry.

Replace nezumi which whatever is appropriate.

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 20-11-2012 10:26 PM

OT sorry for those using Demon/turnpike

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
I found out how to change stuff without too much trouble, but I forget
where.

If you go to Configure|Email transfer in the Turnpike menu, you can add
a mail server. The server name is mail.demon.co.uk, and the mailbox
name is . If you ask in
news:demon.service someone should be able to give you any more details
you require.

By the way, you should be able to continue using Turnpike for Usenet,
regardless of what you do for email.

Thanks Stewart - I'll go and have another look !
--
Janet Tweedy