GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Water Butt Repair? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/20585-re-water-butt-repair.html)

Drakanthus 05-05-2003 10:32 AM

Water Butt Repair?

Is there a type of adhesive which I could use to seal the split (it's
a couple of inches long and not very wide).

Reg Q

I'd be tempted to try Araldite - it is very good where strength is important. It
should also fill the split provided it is not more than about 1mm wide. Perhaps
you could also glue a piece of small piece of plastic over the split to help
strengthen it against further tearing. I wouldn't try melting any plastic onto the
split - I tried using melted plastic myself years ago for something similar and it
set too brittle and didn't bond very well to the surrounding plastic - certainly
wouldn't be watertight.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Simon Avery 05-05-2003 11:08 AM

Water Butt Repair?

(Reg Q) wrote:

Hello Reg

RQ My question is, is it possible to repair it? I expect the
RQ answer will be "No, throw it away and get another one", but
RQ if it is possible to save it I'd like to - it was quite
RQ expensive (about 40 quid IIRC).
RQ Is there a type of adhesive which I could use to seal the
RQ split (it's a couple of inches long and not very wide).

Fibreglass might do it, but might have problems sticking to plastic.

Superglue stuff - don't think it would be strong enough.

Hot welding might do it (solder iron across the crack) if it's not too
big.

Waterproof tape can also work - provided it's not too wide. A stretchy
tape would be best, I think. I patched a galvanised cold water tank
that I use as a butt with duck tape a couple of years ago, still
watertight.

But however you try it, ensure it's fully dry and absolutely clean or
nothing will stick.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/

H 05-05-2003 12:08 PM

Water Butt Repair?

I have a green plastic water butt which has split at the bottom
because I foolishly didn't put it on a proper level surface, and the
weight of the water has done the damage.

I've repaired my water butts. I used a waterproof silicone sealant that I
bought from a DIY store such as B&Q, Homebase etc. Just squirt it into the
gap, leave to dry for at least 24 hours. Repair the hole from both sides,
i.e. inside the butt and outside.

- h

david 06-05-2003 02:23 AM

Water Butt Repair?

I don't know about the "cement " you can get for joining Plastic pipe, but I
would also be looking for a very large poly bag to use as a liner.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Reg Q 06-05-2003 02:44 PM

Water Butt Repair?

Thanks to all who responded - some useful ideas there.

Unfortunately I tried and failed to repair the leak. The split was
bigger than I thought and because the bottom of the butt isn't flat
where the split is (it has some indentations, presumably to strengthen
it) it was difficult to stick tape on it, etc.

It looks as if I'll have to replace it :(

Any suggestions as to what I can do with the old one - maybe make it
into a compost bin or something? Seems a shame to dump it.

Reg Q

jane 06-05-2003 02:44 PM

Water Butt Repair?

~
~Unfortunately I tried and failed to repair the leak. The split was
~bigger than I thought and because the bottom of the butt isn't flat
~where the split is (it has some indentations, presumably to strengthen
~it) it was difficult to stick tape on it, etc.
~
~It looks as if I'll have to replace it :(
~
~Any suggestions as to what I can do with the old one - maybe make it
~into a compost bin or something? Seems a shame to dump it.

Fill it with a mixture of compost and manure and grow a couple of
squash or marrows in it. I'm doing that with an old rusty dustbin...
Or second-cropping potatoes for Christmas.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

H 06-05-2003 04:32 PM

Water Butt Repair?

~Any suggestions as to what I can do with the old one - maybe make it
~into a compost bin or something? Seems a shame to dump it.

I made mine into a wormery by drilling loads of holes in the bottom etc. I
then changed my mind some time later, filled in the holes with silicon
sealant and now it's a water butt again.

Best,

- h

Janet Baraclough 07-05-2003 01:44 AM

Water Butt Repair?

The message
from (Reg Q) contains these words:

Unfortunately I tried and failed to repair the leak.
It looks as if I'll have to replace it :(

Any suggestions as to what I can do with the old one - maybe make it
into a compost bin or something? Seems a shame to dump it.

Saw the bottom off, and use it to make extra compost in compost-pies.
Dig a hole a foot deep, the same diameter as the butt, on an area of the
garden that needs composting. Place butt over the hole and fill with
material for a hot compost (manure, grass cuttings, bracken or seaweed)
and water with urine. Put the lid on. When the compost has heated,**
cooled and shrunk, remove the butt (like a sandpie mould ), leave the
compost pie to mature, and start another. The intended advantage is that
you won't have to move or barrow the finished compost.

I'm just trying this out, and considering planting courgettes in the top.

Janet.