Old 30-11-2012, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default request to identify this plant

Was given a couple of these plants recently without the chance to find out
what they were or how to look after them.

They were placed in water in a vase when given to me. I've now put one in a
pot with soil and kept the other in water in case i'm doing the wrong thing.

Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.

Old 30-11-2012, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , jim west
writes
Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.

I might well be wrong but if it's not an orchid then I would have said
Pleione, as the flower stems come the ground rather than form on stalks.
They are REALLY tricky and very expensive and have to have special
compost etc.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 30-11-2012, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , jim west
writes
Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.

I might well be wrong but if it's not an orchid then I would have said
Pleione, as the flower stems come the ground rather than form on stalks.
They are REALLY tricky and very expensive and have to have special
compost etc.

I don't think it's an orchid. (Actinomorphic flowers with exserted
stamens is at the least atypical for orchids, but on the other hand
there could be pseudobulbs buried in the gravel.)

But Pleione is an orchid, and is said to be one of the easiest orchids
to grow. Some are even hardy.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-11-2012, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
But Pleione is an orchid, and is said to be one of the easiest orchids
to grow. Some are even hardy.

We had a Pleione expert to talk to our group last year and the infinite
care you have to take to get the growing conditions esp. the growing
medium was very offputting. Maybe he grew different ones then?
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
But Pleione is an orchid, and is said to be one of the easiest orchids to
grow. Some are even hardy.

We had a Pleione expert to talk to our group last year and the infinite
care you have to take to get the growing conditions esp. the growing medium
was very offputting. Maybe he grew different ones then?

Was it Mr Ian Butterworth? He seems to be the UK expert.
I grow a number of Pleiones outside on my patio and have done for decades.
They are orchids from the mountains of the far east and like humid cool
boyant air when in growth and spend the winter under a nice warm blanket of
snow.
So I place the pots next to our large pond in summer and up against the
house in winter, they get no sun in winter and only a little in summer but
it's open aspect.
Compost I use is small chipped bark as per orchid compost and good
multipurpose at 50/50. If you have some charcoal then add that too. They are
grown in clay pans not deep pots.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Was it Mr Ian Butterworth? He seems to be the UK expert.

Yes it was Bob, but they didn't all sound as easy as you find them
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 30-11-2012, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-30 16:58:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , jim west
writes
Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.

I might well be wrong but if it's not an orchid then I would have said
Pleione, as the flower stems come the ground rather than form on stalks.
They are REALLY tricky and very expensive and have to have special
compost etc.

It's almost like a mini Beschorneria!

I gave Ray one of the ones I have Sacha. how is it doing?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-30 17:57:33 +0000, David Hill

On 2012-11-30 16:58:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , jim west
writes
Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.

I might well be wrong but if it's not an orchid then I would have said
Pleione, as the flower stems come the ground rather than form on
stalks.
They are REALLY tricky and very expensive and have to have special
compost etc.

It's almost like a mini Beschorneria!

I gave Ray one of the ones I have Sacha. how is it doing?

I'll have to check with him tomorrow because he's spark out now. I know
he had one in the Tea Room terraces and 2010 winter 'got it'. I do hope
that wasn't your kith and kin! Forgive my almost inevitably incorrect
spelling but did you give him B septentrionalis? If so, that is the one
that perished in the cold winter.

Sacha, the plant I am talking about is one I brought down when we came
down last.
Grows well outside in Shanghai and it's not the warmest place in winter.
Old 30-11-2012, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-30 16:58:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , jim west
writes
Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.

I might well be wrong but if it's not an orchid then I would have said
Pleione, as the flower stems come the ground rather than form on stalks.
They are REALLY tricky and very expensive and have to have special
compost etc.

It's almost like a mini Beschorneria!

But if I'm right the leaves are rather grass like.
Old 30-11-2012, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-30 16:58:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , jim west
writes
Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.

I might well be wrong but if it's not an orchid then I would have said
Pleione, as the flower stems come the ground rather than form on stalks.
They are REALLY tricky and very expensive and have to have special
compost etc.

It's almost like a mini Beschorneria!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

I thought it looked like a very poorly hyacinth!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 30-11-2012, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

I thought it looked like a very poorly hyacinth!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

That was my thought ;-)

Mike

Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Charlie Pridham wrote:
I thought it looked like a very poorly hyacinth!!

At a glance, that is what I think too. Either one that has been forced too quickly, or an old bulb that was planted far too late and has missed a growing season.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-30 22:52:29 +0000, "Charlie Pridham"

On 2012-11-30 16:58:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , jim west
writes
Grateful for any identification. See tiny pic website for photo

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ajynnr&s=6

Any any advice on how to care for them. Thanks.

I might well be wrong but if it's not an orchid then I would have
said Pleione, as the flower stems come the ground rather than form
on stalks.
They are REALLY tricky and very expensive and have to have special
compost etc.

It's almost like a mini Beschorneria!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

I thought it looked like a very poorly hyacinth!!

But are the leaves right, even for a poorly one? It could be a sort of
witch's broom one, I suppose!

Come on people, it's totally wrong for a Hyacinth, it has 3 crowns, the
flowers are starting from ground level and the individual flowers are
the wrong shape, you might as well say it is a mutated daffodil.
As for it being in the Orchid family, balderdash, again the flowers are
totally the wrong shape.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hill
writes
Come on people, it's totally wrong for a Hyacinth, it has 3 crowns, the
flowers are starting from ground level and the individual flowers are
the wrong shape, you might as well say it is a mutated daffodil.
As for it being in the Orchid family, balderdash, again the flowers are
totally the wrong shape.

I ruled out hyacinth because the flower stalk seems to come from under
the surface, don't know enough about orchids to hazard a guess at them,
just thought though that the photo was vaguely reminiscent of pleione.

Haw frost here this morning, a bit chilly as well!
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 01-12-2012, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-30 22:52:29 +0000, "Charlie Pridham"

On 2012-11-30 16:58:56 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , jim west
writes
[...]

Zooming in to the base of the plant, just at gravel level, is a growth
rather like a rhizome. Does that jog any memories?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London