Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 AM
Registered User

Default Are willow leaves acid and are they good for compost

hallo,

lovely large willow sheds its leaves by the bagful every year.

QUESTIONS
1. will its leaves produce acidy soil when composted e.g. good for heathers?
2. can i mix the leaves in with the compost-heap - wont they make it too acid for my beans and peas next year?
3. using some of the leaves to cover ajuga,etc for winter but will the leaves not suffocate the low-lying ajuga?

thanks

karaman
Old 08-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaman View Post
hallo,

lovely large willow sheds its leaves by the bagful every year.

QUESTIONS
1. will its leaves produce acidy soil when composted e.g. good for heathers?
2. can i mix the leaves in with the compost-heap - wont they make it too acid for my beans and peas next year?
3. using some of the leaves to cover ajuga,etc for winter but will the leaves not suffocate the low-lying ajuga?

thanks

karaman
Well whatever else, your compost heap will not get a headache. :-)
Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/12/2012 03:34, karaman wrote:
hallo,

lovely large willow sheds its leaves by the bagful every year.

QUESTIONS
1. will its leaves produce acidy soil when composted e.g. good for
heathers?
2. can i mix the leaves in with the compost-heap - wont they make it too
acid for my beans and peas next year?
3. using some of the leaves to cover ajuga,etc for winter but will the
leaves not suffocate the low-lying ajuga?

thanks

karaman

Are any leaves alkaline?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 20:57:19 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

Are any leaves alkaline?

Good question. I did read many years ago that leafmould from, e.g.
beech trees growing on chalk was not suitable for mulching rhodies
because of its alkalinity due to it containing a lot of calcium, but
whether true or not, I've no idea. I'm sceptical.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Is beech any good for fires? Slow burning? Spitting? Rapid burning?

Mike

Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 22:16:57 -0000, Mike wrote:

Is beech any good for fires? Slow burning? Spitting? Rapid burning?

Burns OK here both on an open fire and now in the stove. Bit slower than
birch at burn rate quicker than oak (but I'm not sure that the logs that
look like oak inside are oak as the bark isn't quite right). No spitting,
the only stuff we've burnt that has spat has been softwood, ex-pallet
wood seems to be the worst.

If you need to split beech do it green, it turns into concrete once
seasoned...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 22:16:57 -0000, Mike wrote:

Is beech any good for fires? Slow burning? Spitting? Rapid burning?

Burns OK here both on an open fire and now in the stove. Bit slower than
birch at burn rate quicker than oak (but I'm not sure that the logs that
look like oak inside are oak as the bark isn't quite right). No spitting,
the only stuff we've burnt that has spat has been softwood, ex-pallet
wood seems to be the worst.

If you need to split beech do it green, it turns into concrete once
seasoned...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks for that tip about splitting Dave. There will be a lot to do and it
seems a good idea to do it all once felled. The main trunk is "about" 2' 6"
in diameter.

Mike

Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 08:02:33 -0000, Mike wrote:

Thanks for that tip about splitting Dave. There will be a lot to do and
it seems a good idea to do it all once felled. The main trunk is
"about" 2' 6" in diameter.

Believe me the difference between spliting beech green or even partly
seasoned is quite a lot. A swung spliting axe will just drop through a
green 9" log under it's own weight but will need need some effort added
for (part) seasoned.

Tree that size should keep you in logs for a winter or maybe two. But not
this winter and possibly not next either unless we have a good summer and
you have the space to have it stacked up with good free air circulation.

Lucky you but it'll be hard work processing to burnable sized logs. With
that much to do I think I'd invest in a powered spliter of some sort.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/12/2012 23:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 22:16:57 -0000, Mike wrote:

Is beech any good for fires? Slow burning? Spitting? Rapid burning?

Burns OK here both on an open fire and now in the stove. Bit slower than
birch at burn rate quicker than oak (but I'm not sure that the logs that
look like oak inside are oak as the bark isn't quite right). No spitting,
the only stuff we've burnt that has spat has been softwood, ex-pallet
wood seems to be the worst.

If you need to split beech do it green, it turns into concrete once
seasoned...

AIUI beech soot is much prized as an artists' pigment (Bistre). Too good
for the garden

Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 08/12/2012 23:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 22:16:57 -0000, Mike wrote:

Is beech any good for fires? Slow burning? Spitting? Rapid burning?

Burns OK here both on an open fire and now in the stove. Bit slower than
birch at burn rate quicker than oak (but I'm not sure that the logs that
look like oak inside are oak as the bark isn't quite right). No spitting,
the only stuff we've burnt that has spat has been softwood, ex-pallet
wood seems to be the worst.

If you need to split beech do it green, it turns into concrete once
seasoned...

AIUI beech soot is much prized as an artists' pigment (Bistre). Too good
for the garden

So what would you suggest, sweep the chimney before the Beech starts to be
burnt, make sure Beech is only burnt over a long period, then sweep the
chimney after and save?

What about the wood ash from the cleared grate?

and how do you market it?

Mike

Old 08-12-2012, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/12/2012 03:34, karaman wrote:
hallo,

lovely large willow sheds its leaves by the bagful every year.

QUESTIONS
1. will its leaves produce acidy soil when composted e.g. good for
heathers?
2. can i mix the leaves in with the compost-heap - wont they make it too
acid for my beans and peas next year?
3. using some of the leaves to cover ajuga,etc for winter but will the
leaves not suffocate the low-lying ajuga?

thanks

karaman

Why do you want to cover Ajuga?
It's as tough as old boots.