Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.chem

Default do all leaves and branches make the soil more acid??

I know that pine needles acidify the soil and that oak leaves also
acidify the soil. But what about all other
kinds of leaves and branches? Is it only pine and oak leaves and
branches? I would think that all green
leaves and branches acidify the soil. I did some searching but found
no research that addresses this question.

Basically I want to know if all green leaves and branches act to
acidify the soil when used as a mulch?

I cannot think of any alkali or salts in plant tissue, so that plant
leaves and branches are either acid or
neutral.

Question: how good is newspaper as a acidifer?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.chem

a_plutonium wrote:
I know that pine needles acidify the soil and that oak leaves also
acidify the soil. But what about all other
kinds of leaves and branches? Is it only pine and oak leaves and
branches? I would think that all green
leaves and branches acidify the soil. I did some searching but found
no research that addresses this question.

Basically I want to know if all green leaves and branches act to
acidify the soil when used as a mulch?

I cannot think of any alkali or salts in plant tissue, so that plant
leaves and branches are either acid or
neutral.

Almost all soil organic matter is acidic and comes from plants for the
most part. So I think the answer is yes.
---
www.analyticalchem.com
Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.chem

On Jun 8, 7:32 am, Sassman wrote:
a_plutonium wrote:
I know that pine needles acidify the soil and that oak leaves also
acidify the soil. But what about all other
kinds of leaves and branches? Is it only pine and oak leaves and
branches? I would think that all green
leaves and branches acidify the soil. I did some searching but found
no research that addresses this question.

Basically I want to know if all green leaves and branches act to
acidify the soil when used as a mulch?

I cannot think of any alkali or salts in plant tissue, so that plant
leaves and branches are either acid or
neutral.

Almost all soil organic matter is acidic and comes from plants for the
most part. So I think the answer is yes.
---www.analyticalchem.com

Look up tannic acid. I think this accounts for the acidic nature of
leaves and leaf-based humus/mulch.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:22 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.chem

BAJJERFAN wrote:

Look up tannic acid. I think this accounts for the acidic nature of
leaves and leaf-based humus/mulch.

And the acidic organics in soil are humic acid and fulvic acid which the
result of degradation of plant materials.
---
www.analyticalchem.com
Old 10-06-2007, 10:59 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.chem

Sassman wrote:

Almost all soil organic matter is acidic and comes from plants for the
most part. So I think the answer is yes.
---
www.analyticalchem.com

Thanks. Does someone know how plant roots interact with creosote
treated wood. I suppose the creosote
is coal tar based and contains benzene and other carcinogens. But to a
plant, would creosote be a good
additive to a alkali soil making it more acidic. And would the plant
be free of any carcinogens.

I have rows of old railroad ties and the trees along these two rows
have performed the best in growth
compared to other saplings, especially the pine trees and the grape
vine.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 12-06-2007, 03:43 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.chem

Thanks. Does someone know how plant roots interact with creosote
treated wood. I suppose the creosote
is coal tar based and contains benzene and other carcinogens. But to a
plant, would creosote be a good
additive to a alkali soil making it more acidic. And would the plant
be free of any carcinogens.

I have rows of old railroad ties and the trees along these two rows
have performed the best in growth
compared to other saplings, especially the pine trees and the grape
vine.

I suspect that the nice growth of plants near the railroad ties is due
to factors not related to chemicals. Maybe drainage, shading, or a
different soil type in this area? The amount of chemicals that will
leach from the treated wood will decrease over time as more water
soluble and/or biodegradable species go away. Those compounds left in
the wood are insoluble and hence cannot get out of the wood. My only
concern about carcinogens in the plants would be chromium. If you have
chromium treated wood there, it may be a problem if you plant to eat the
plants.
---
www.analyticalchem.com
Old 13-06-2007, 01:01 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.chem

Sassman wrote:
[...]

I doubt that chromium is in that wood at all if it really was intended
for railroad ties. Chromium compounds are too expensive for the large
number of ties that railroads use. It is almost certainly some kind of
creosote type preservative. As for the carcinogens thus contained they
will have been exposed to a long amount of oxidation by air, UV
radiation, and leaching by rain that would diminish such materials
considerably.
FK