Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default TW 3

Well what a week,
The old year went out with a splash, then New years day was a great day
sunny, dry and like a spring day, that has been followed by 3 days of
fog, very low cloud and light drizzle. today it's a little better just
light mist but water droplets hanging on the bushes and trees.
Still mud and surface water every where, if only it would dry.
The birds are starting to practice for the dawn chorus, and a good
number of weeks are flowering and growing.
New shoots can be seen on quite a few shrubs, but as for flowers, just a
few Winter flowering Jasmine, though the Daffs have put on 3 to 4 inches
of growth since Xmas, a few Crocus shoots showing, but as always our
Snow drops are keeping well out of sight, they don't flower for us till
the daffs have shown that it safe.
The Camellias look as if they are about 3 months off flowering, their
buds are only half developed.
In summary, it's dull, bleak and damp.
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What is TW 3?

Steve

Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 11:05:08 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

What is TW 3?

Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Was_The_Week_That_Was

You have to be a certain age to remember it, I don't as such but it
was a marker for the time I should have been in bed unless it was the
school holiday and only then if I was playing outside.
Making a racket by stirring Meccano stored in a metal tin while
looking for a part was not conducive to parents telly watching.

G.Harman
Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

What is TW 3?

Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Was_The_Week_That_Was

You have to be a certain age to remember it, I don't as such but it
was a marker for the time I should have been in bed unless it was the
school holiday and only then if I was playing outside.
Making a racket by stirring Meccano stored in a metal tin while
looking for a part was not conducive to parents telly watching.

I'm easily old enough to remember the program. It's never become a
short code in my mind.

Steve

Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2013 11:27, wrote:

Making a racket by stirring Meccano stored in a metal tin while
looking for a part was not conducive to parents telly watching.

We were told to Shurrrrup! When we stirred the box of lego.
--
Phil Cook

Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/5/2013 6:58 AM, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 11:05:08 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

What is TW 3?

That Was The Week That Was
Something from 1960s BBC TV. Millicent Martin should have sung his
message. It was the show that made David Frost.

Didn't Cleo Laine also sing on TW3?

Old 05-01-2013, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 Martin wrote:

wrote:

What is TW 3?
That Was The Week That Was
Something from 1960s BBC TV. Millicent Martin should have sung his
message. It was the show that made David Frost.

Didn't Cleo Laine also sing on TW3?

Yes, but not always.
http://all.hdvnbits.org/imdb/movie.p...131188&engine=

I saw her at the Beaulieu Jazz Festival in 1961

I saw her in July 1966 in the Royal Festival Hall reciting, together
with Alvar Lidell, the poems in Façade. The music was conducted by the
composer himself (William Walton).

Now those are very famous names not often seen together!

And if I may name-drop further, Cleo, as you all know was married to
John Dankworth. John's sister, Avril, was a music teacher and, for a
time, taught at Kendrick School, Reading. That's where I was head of
music until my retirement in 1994. I believe she's still alive, though
now suffering from Alzheimer's.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

and when she and John were married, they upset a lot of people by keeping it
secret from a lot of fans :-(

If my memory serves me correct, they married in Portsmouth and I was on
Evening release from the Royal Navy to attend Portsmouth Poly.

Rather a long time ago

Mike

Smile...It irritates those who wish to destroy you.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-05 16:30:23 +0000, David Rance said:

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 Martin wrote:

Didn't Cleo Laine also sing on TW3?

I saw her at the Beaulieu Jazz Festival in 1961

I saw her in July 1966 in the Royal Festival Hall reciting, together
with Alvar Lidell, the poems in Façade. The music was conducted by
the composer himself (William Walton).

Now those are very famous names not often seen together!

And if I may name-drop further, Cleo, as you all know was married to
John Dankworth. John's sister, Avril, was a music teacher and, for a
time, taught at Kendrick School, Reading. That's where I was head of
music until my retirement in 1994. I believe she's still alive, though
suffering from Alzheimer's.

There was a horrid episode when a woman named Cleo in a divorce even
though Cleo had never even met the husband! Iirc, the wife said her
husband was so obsessed/smitten by Cleo Laine that the wife regarded
her as 'the other woman'. It was a very bizarre situation!

I'll ask my eldest daughter, who is a divorce lawyer, if she knows about
that. She often tells us of some quite bizarre divorce situations but
nothing quite as bizarre as that!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 06-01-2013, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-06 08:48:29 +0000, David Rance said:

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 Sacha wrote:

There was a horrid episode when a woman named Cleo in a divorce even
though Cleo had never even met the husband! Iirc, the wife said her
husband was so obsessed/smitten by Cleo Laine that the wife regarded
her as 'the other woman'. It was a very bizarre situation!

I'll ask my eldest daughter, who is a divorce lawyer, if she knows
about that. She often tells us of some quite bizarre divorce
situations but nothing quite as bizarre as that!

It was a singer, Nadia Cattouse, who named Cleo. It was back in the 60s
and they probably had met but the allegations were absolutely unfounded.

I remember that name but, if you'd asked me, I couldn't have told you
why!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 06-01-2013, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-06 08:48:29 +0000, David Rance said:

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 Sacha wrote:

There was a horrid episode when a woman named Cleo in a divorce even
though Cleo had never even met the husband! Iirc, the wife said her
husband was so obsessed/smitten by Cleo Laine that the wife regarded
her as 'the other woman'. It was a very bizarre situation!

I'll ask my eldest daughter, who is a divorce lawyer, if she knows
about that. She often tells us of some quite bizarre divorce
situations but nothing quite as bizarre as that!

It was a singer, Nadia Cattouse, who named Cleo. It was back in the
60s and they probably had met but the allegations were absolutely
unfounded.

I remember that name but, if you'd asked me, I couldn't have told you why!

Nadia Cattouse is (was?) a good singer. I saw her a few times in
Edinburgh, many years ago.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-06 08:48:29 +0000, David Rance said:

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 Sacha wrote:

There was a horrid episode when a woman named Cleo in a divorce even
though Cleo had never even met the husband! Iirc, the wife said her
husband was so obsessed/smitten by Cleo Laine that the wife regarded
her as 'the other woman'. It was a very bizarre situation!

I'll ask my eldest daughter, who is a divorce lawyer, if she knows
about that. She often tells us of some quite bizarre divorce
situations but nothing quite as bizarre as that!

It was a singer, Nadia Cattouse, who named Cleo. It was back in the
60s and they probably had met but the allegations were absolutely
unfounded.

I remember that name but, if you'd asked me, I couldn't have told you why!

Nadia Cattouse is (was?) a good singer. I saw her a few times in
Edinburgh, many years ago.

Just looked her up on the web. Yes, she sang "Long time boy" which has
now been uploaded to Youtube. As soon as I heard it I remembered, not
only the song, but the sound of her voice. That was back in the '60s.
She'll be 89 this year.

David

http://rance.org.uk