Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shrubs next to houses

Howdy all

We have a very large old (20 years?) clematis right next to the corner
of our house. It grows across the upper half of the house frontage. The
trunk is now quite thick.

Concerned about the overall size of the plant, during the winter I
determined to take the whole lot down, and replace it. However I wimped
out after I'd got halfway - couldn't bear the thought of doing away with
it completely.

If I keep cutting the upper half of the plant down annually, so that it
doesn't grow overall in size, is it reasonable to think that the root
system will also be kept in check?

Cheers
John
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire

Hi John,

My view; after 20 years, the root system on your Clematis is going to be as established as it ever will be. I really don't think it will increase much more in size than what it has already. I guess it is a 'montana' type? early flowering. If so, these are in prune group 1 for Clematis i.e. they flower on growth produced the previous season and following your strategy could mean much fewer flowers. For group one plants all that is required is a light trim immediately after flowering to keep the plant controlled.

Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another John View Post

Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(No replies yet, if ever, but anyway... clarification ...

If I keep cutting the upper half of the plant down annually, so that it
doesn't grow overall in size, is it reasonable to think that the root
system will also be kept in check?

By "cutting it down annually" I meant "cutting it down in size", or
"cutting it back" -- not actually cutting it *down*, if you see what I
mean.

John
Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote in message
(No replies yet, if ever, but anyway... clarification ...

If I keep cutting the upper half of the plant down annually, so that it
doesn't grow overall in size, is it reasonable to think that the root
system will also be kept in check?

By "cutting it down annually" I meant "cutting it down in size", or
"cutting it back" -- not actually cutting it *down*, if you see what I
mean.

John

You can John but if you want the flowers then do it each June after
flowering, if you do it in winter it won't flower (I am assuming like Martin
its a Montana type)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Plantsman and Charlie -- very useful!

John