Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Human Nature - OT

Hi all

Not so much garden as outdoor related.

My daughter is currently in London at UCL and her accommodation is in a
less green area of the city.
I was encouraging her to get on a bus to somewhere (not necessarily
outside the city) where there was greenery around e. g. Regents Park.
She was not totally averse to the idea.

The question it posed is:

Is it part of human nature to feel the need for greenery?
Or have I been conditioned to value it by my parents/grandparents and
passed this conditioning on to my daughter?

Phil
Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-05 09:27:31 +0000, thescullster said:

Hi all

Not so much garden as outdoor related.

My daughter is currently in London at UCL and her accommodation is in a
less green area of the city.
I was encouraging her to get on a bus to somewhere (not necessarily
outside the city) where there was greenery around e. g. Regents Park.
She was not totally averse to the idea.

The question it posed is:

Is it part of human nature to feel the need for greenery?
Or have I been conditioned to value it by my parents/grandparents and
passed this conditioning on to my daughter?

Phil

Bit of both, I'd say. But I think it's an atavistic need. We all spring
from ancestry that lived off land and sea and on both, so we probably
do need both, still. It's a bit like most people preferring to go
upstairs to sleep at night. Instinctively, it just feels safer and that
probably goes back to when we climbed trees to get away from marauding
enemies or animals!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-05 09:27:31 +0000, thescullster said:

Hi all

[...]

Thanks Sacha

I like the "going upstairs" parallel - that makes a lot of sense.

Phil
Old 05-03-2013, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/03/2013 09:27, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Not so much garden as outdoor related.

My daughter is currently in London at UCL and her accommodation is in a
less green area of the city.
I was encouraging her to get on a bus to somewhere (not necessarily
outside the city) where there was greenery around e. g. Regents Park.
She was not totally averse to the idea.

UCL has greenery on it's doorstep, you don't need a bus from the
college. Gordon, Tavistock Bedford and Russell Squares are within two
to ten minutes walk. Regent's park perhaps 15 minutes away.
--
Phil Cook
Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/03/2013 15:05, Phil Cook wrote:

UCL has greenery on it's doorstep

*** its facepalm
--
Phil Cook

Old 05-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire

Unless you live in a bungalow.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescullster View Post

Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Phil Cook wrote:
UCL has greenery on it's doorstep, you don't need a bus from the
college. Gordon, Tavistock Bedford and Russell Squares are within two
to ten minutes walk. Regent's park perhaps 15 minutes away.

Lincoln's Inn Fields?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Phil Cook wrote:
UCL has greenery on its doorstep, you don't need a bus from the
college. Gordon, Tavistock Bedford and Russell Squares are within two
to ten minutes walk. Regent's park perhaps 15 minutes away.

Lincoln's Inn Fields?

A smidgin further away than regent's Park.

In that case, UCL isn't where I thought it was. :-)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Phil Cook wrote:
Lincoln's Inn Fields?

A smidgin further away than regent's Park.

In that case, UCL isn't where I thought it was. :-)

It's sometimes known as "The Godless Institution on Gower Street" if
that helps. It is just to the north of the "Ministry of Truth" Senate
building of the University of London.

the nearest London University college to LIF is that former hotbed of
Trotskyites the LSE. Which in itself is just across the Aldwych and
Strand from King's College where you could take Divinity in combined
honours with all sorts of subjects, so that was "The Godly Institution
on the Strand".

Ah, yes, it's LSE I'm mixing it up with. (We had the big "you're all
being made redundant" speech by the DG in some lecture theatre there
back in, umm, 2003 or so)