GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   It's snailing, hnowing or whatever (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206684-its-snailing-hnowing-whatever.html)

[email protected] 30-03-2013 12:06 PM

It's snailing, hnowing or whatever

The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Anyway, we have just had a shower of it here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] 30-03-2013 12:19 PM

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:06:40 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Soft hail, snow pellets?

--
Cheers
Dave.

[email protected] 30-03-2013 12:31 PM

It's snailing, hnowing or whatever

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Soft hail, snow pellets?

Well, yes, but I want a word. I have just had an idea: snobbling.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Hill 30-03-2013 01:01 PM

On 30/03/2013 12:06, wrote:
The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Anyway, we have just had a shower of it here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Isn't it known as granular snow?

Spider[_3_] 30-03-2013 01:28 PM

On 30/03/2013 12:06, wrote:
The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Anyway, we have just had a shower of it here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Apart fom disgreeble, how about a hailsnorm?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Baz[_3_] 30-03-2013 01:57 PM

It's snailing, hnowing or whatever

wrote in :

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Soft hail, snow pellets?

Well, yes, but I want a word. I have just had an idea: snobbling.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think snohailing is good. Not to be confused with snowboarding which is a
sport for the people who can do it.

Baz

Jeff Layman[_2_] 30-03-2013 03:09 PM

On 30/03/2013 12:06, wrote:
The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Anyway, we have just had a shower of it here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You should ask an Inuit. They probably have as many words for it as the
forms in which it exists (more snow than hail; more hail than snow,
equal amounts, etc). Then decide on an English translation.

--

Jeff

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 30-03-2013 03:41 PM

It's snailing, hnowing or whatever

Slightly off topic, but...........

If when its raining and the sun shines, we have a
rainbow, what do we get when it is snowing and the sun
shines (apart from cold!) a snowbow?

:)

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Sacha[_10_] 30-03-2013 04:17 PM

On 2013-03-30 15:41:59 +0000, Roger Tonkin said:

Slightly off topic, but...........

If when its raining and the sun shines, we have a
rainbow, what do we get when it is snowing and the sun
shines (apart from cold!) a snowbow?

:)

A noseblow!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Spider[_3_] 30-03-2013 05:06 PM

On 30/03/2013 15:41, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Slightly off topic, but...........

If when its raining and the sun shines, we have a
rainbow, what do we get when it is snowing and the sun
shines (apart from cold!) a snowbow?

:)

Snowshine, of course :~).

kay 30-03-2013 08:08 PM

Why bother with an english translation? We don't usually, we just swallow words whole.

eg tsunami

Bill Grey 30-03-2013 09:17 PM

It's snailing, hnowing or whatever

wrote in message ...
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Soft hail, snow pellets?

Well, yes, but I want a word. I have just had an idea: snobbling.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Try an aangram - washnoil or other arrangement......good fun eh?

Bill

Jeff Layman[_2_] 30-03-2013 09:46 PM

On 30/03/2013 20:08, kay wrote:
'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;979941']On 30/03/2013 12:06, wrote:-
The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Anyway, we have just had a shower of it here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.-

You should ask an Inuit. They probably have as many words for it as the

forms in which it exists (more snow than hail; more hail than snow,
equal amounts, etc). Then decide on an English translation.

--

Jeff

Why bother with an english translation? We don't usually, we just
swallow words whole.

eg tsunami

Good point - we already have "igloo". But there doesn't appear to be an
Inuit word for snow/hail combination. The nearest I can find is
"kanevvluk" - fine snow/rain particles.

--

Jeff