Old 30-03-2013, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default It's snailing, hnowing or whatever

The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Anyway, we have just had a shower of it here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-03-2013, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:06:40 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Soft hail, snow pellets?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 30-03-2013, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Soft hail, snow pellets?

Well, yes, but I want a word. I have just had an idea: snobbling.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-03-2013, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/03/2013 12:06, wrote:
The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Anyway, we have just had a shower of it here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Isn't it known as granular snow?
Old 30-03-2013, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/03/2013 12:06, wrote:
The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Anyway, we have just had a shower of it here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Apart fom disgreeble, how about a hailsnorm?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 30-03-2013, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Slightly off topic, but...........

If when its raining and the sun shines, we have a
rainbow, what do we get when it is snowing and the sun
shines (apart from cold!) a snowbow?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 30-03-2013, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-30 15:41:59 +0000, Roger Tonkin said:

Slightly off topic, but...........

If when its raining and the sun shines, we have a
rainbow, what do we get when it is snowing and the sun
shines (apart from cold!) a snowbow?

A noseblow!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-03-2013, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/03/2013 15:41, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Slightly off topic, but...........

If when its raining and the sun shines, we have a
rainbow, what do we get when it is snowing and the sun
shines (apart from cold!) a snowbow?

Snowshine, of course :~).

Old 30-03-2013, 08:08 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Why bother with an english translation? We don't usually, we just swallow words whole.

eg tsunami
__________________
Old 30-03-2013, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

The English language lacks a word for a mixture of snow and hail,
usually in the form of lumps that are neither one nor the other.
Any ideas on what to call it?

Soft hail, snow pellets?

Well, yes, but I want a word. I have just had an idea: snobbling.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Try an aangram - washnoil or other arrangement......good fun eh?

Bill