GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206740-bosch-2200-shredder-old-drum-version.html)

[email protected] 07-04-2013 06:01 PM

Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version)

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this? I could just
try taking it apart and looking, but I don't want to knacker it
unnecessarily. It's done a far amount of shredding by modern
domestic standards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Gary Woods 07-04-2013 06:27 PM

wrote:

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this?

Only in a general sense: Are there any grease fittings visible, or
bearings that can be got at? My only experience is a Roto-Hoe hammermill
shredder powered by a small gas (oops....petrol) engine.

[email protected] 07-04-2013 06:31 PM

Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version)

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this?

Only in a general sense: Are there any grease fittings visible, or
bearings that can be got at? My only experience is a Roto-Hoe hammermill
shredder powered by a small gas (oops....petrol) engine.

No. It's mains electric.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Hill 07-04-2013 06:48 PM

Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version)

On 07/04/2013 18:31, wrote:
In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this?

Only in a general sense: Are there any grease fittings visible, or
bearings that can be got at? My only experience is a Roto-Hoe hammermill
shredder powered by a small gas (oops....petrol) engine.

No. It's mains electric.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Doesn't stop it having grease points and bearings

[email protected] 07-04-2013 07:55 PM

David Hill wrote:

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this?

Only in a general sense: Are there any grease fittings visible, or
bearings that can be got at? My only experience is a Roto-Hoe hammermill
shredder powered by a small gas (oops....petrol) engine.

No. It's mains electric.

Doesn't stop it having grease points and bearings

Sheesh! It obviously has bearings! But most electric consumer
items are 'lubricated for life', meaning that the intent is that
it dies when the lubricant disappears. I am old enough to want
to repair items while that is still feasible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Hill 07-04-2013 08:01 PM

Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version)

On 07/04/2013 19:55, wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this?

Only in a general sense: Are there any grease fittings visible, or
bearings that can be got at? My only experience is a Roto-Hoe hammermill
shredder powered by a small gas (oops....petrol) engine.

No. It's mains electric.

Doesn't stop it having grease points and bearings

Sheesh! It obviously has bearings! But most electric consumer
items are 'lubricated for life', meaning that the intent is that
it dies when the lubricant disappears. I am old enough to want
to repair items while that is still feasible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You could try blasting it with Silicon grease.

[email protected] 07-04-2013 08:19 PM

David Hill wrote:

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this?

Only in a general sense: Are there any grease fittings visible, or
bearings that can be got at? My only experience is a Roto-Hoe hammermill
shredder powered by a small gas (oops....petrol) engine.

No. It's mains electric.

Doesn't stop it having grease points and bearings

Sheesh! It obviously has bearings! But most electric consumer
items are 'lubricated for life', meaning that the intent is that
it dies when the lubricant disappears. I am old enough to want
to repair items while that is still feasible.

You could try blasting it with Silicon grease.

Just blasting the outside with silicone grease isn't likely to
help :-) In my original message, I said:

... I could just try taking it apart and looking, but I don't
want to knacker it unnecessarily. ...

As far as I can see, it isn't sealed up so that it can't be
taken apart, but my experience is that quite a lot of items are
designed to break when dismantled.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Gary Woods 07-04-2013 08:21 PM

Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version)

wrote:

No. It's mains electric.

I suspected as much; I've had a number of electric tools that suffered
from dry motor bearings, and they weren't necessarily meant to be
lubricated by the end user. Depends on your mechanical skills and desire
(I've never let my shortcomings in that area deter me, often with
disastrous results). Does the term "shade tree mechanic" travel well?

[email protected] 07-04-2013 08:28 PM

Gary Woods wrote:

No. It's mains electric.

I suspected as much; I've had a number of electric tools that suffered
from dry motor bearings, and they weren't necessarily meant to be
lubricated by the end user. Depends on your mechanical skills and desire
(I've never let my shortcomings in that area deter me, often with
disastrous results). Does the term "shade tree mechanic" travel well?

Well, if it is an alternative of the bin (sorry, "recycling centre")
or risking breakage, I always try the repair. It sometimes even
works :-)

Can you translate "shade tree mechanic", please? I think that I
can guess, but could be wildly wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Gary Woods 07-04-2013 08:56 PM

wrote:

Can you translate "shade tree mechanic", please?

The fellow who can work on his car/mower/whatever where it sits, as under
the tree (but probably could never make a living at it).
I've changed bearings, seals, etc., in my rototiller (rotovator?) for
instance, though that was in the garage accompanied by brute force and
foul language. And I will sometime soon fit a new motor on that
shredder... a Chinese Honda knockoff is considerably cheaper than the
repair parts on the existing one, and it's belt driven with only 4 bolts
holding the motor on the frame, so I can deal with that OK. I'd leave
anything involving precise measurements, etc., to the professionals.

David Hill 07-04-2013 09:24 PM

Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version)

On 07/04/2013 20:19, wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

[...]

I really didn't think I would have to spell it out to a man of your age
and experience.
When I said blast it Naturally I didn't mean the whole machine, but any
moving parts you can get at, and where the noise is. if you can get to
the bearings then a blast for them

Jeff Layman[_2_] 07-04-2013 09:28 PM

On 07/04/2013 18:01, wrote:
Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this? I could just
try taking it apart and looking, but I don't want to knacker it
unnecessarily. It's done a far amount of shredding by modern
domestic standards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Anything useful here?
http://www.fredshed.co.uk/boschshredders.htm

--

Jeff

[email protected] 07-04-2013 09:30 PM

David Hill wrote:

I really didn't think I would have to spell it out to a man of your age
and experience.
When I said blast it Naturally I didn't mean the whole machine, but any
moving parts you can get at, and where the noise is. if you can get to
the bearings then a blast for them

There are none. I was asking specifically because I would have to
dismantle it to get any any relevant parts, and because that might
well write it off. It's not what to do once I get at the bearings;
it's whether getting at them is feasible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bill Grey 07-04-2013 10:16 PM

Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version)

wrote in message ...
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

[...]

Perhaps a blast with WD 40 would get in where anything else might not !
Do you have any idea which part is squeeking?

Bill

[email protected] 07-04-2013 10:31 PM

Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version)

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

I can post some pictures on tinypic, or email them to you, if you
think it's the same model and if you're interested.

It definitely isn't, but the fact that you succeeded is useful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.