Old 07-04-2013, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bosch 2200 shredder (old drum version)

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this? I could just
try taking it apart and looking, but I don't want to knacker it
unnecessarily. It's done a far amount of shredding by modern
domestic standards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this?

Only in a general sense: Are there any grease fittings visible, or
bearings that can be got at? My only experience is a Roto-Hoe hammermill
shredder powered by a small gas (oops....petrol) engine.

No. It's mains electric.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this?

Only in a general sense: Are there any grease fittings visible, or
bearings that can be got at? My only experience is a Roto-Hoe hammermill
shredder powered by a small gas (oops....petrol) engine.

No. It's mains electric.

Doesn't stop it having grease points and bearings

Sheesh! It obviously has bearings! But most electric consumer
items are 'lubricated for life', meaning that the intent is that
it dies when the lubricant disappears. I am old enough to want
to repair items while that is still feasible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

Mine is making squeaking noises, and I suspect that it needs some
maintenance. Does anyone know anything about this?

Only in a general sense: Are there any grease fittings visible, or
bearings that can be got at? My only experience is a Roto-Hoe hammermill
shredder powered by a small gas (oops....petrol) engine.

No. It's mains electric.

Doesn't stop it having grease points and bearings

Sheesh! It obviously has bearings! But most electric consumer
items are 'lubricated for life', meaning that the intent is that
it dies when the lubricant disappears. I am old enough to want
to repair items while that is still feasible.

You could try blasting it with Silicon grease.

Just blasting the outside with silicone grease isn't likely to
help :-) In my original message, I said:

... I could just try taking it apart and looking, but I don't
want to knacker it unnecessarily. ...

As far as I can see, it isn't sealed up so that it can't be
taken apart, but my experience is that quite a lot of items are
designed to break when dismantled.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

No. It's mains electric.

I suspected as much; I've had a number of electric tools that suffered
from dry motor bearings, and they weren't necessarily meant to be
lubricated by the end user. Depends on your mechanical skills and desire
(I've never let my shortcomings in that area deter me, often with
disastrous results). Does the term "shade tree mechanic" travel well?

Well, if it is an alternative of the bin (sorry, "recycling centre")
or risking breakage, I always try the repair. It sometimes even
works :-)

Can you translate "shade tree mechanic", please? I think that I
can guess, but could be wildly wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/04/2013 20:19, wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

[...]

I really didn't think I would have to spell it out to a man of your age
and experience.
When I said blast it Naturally I didn't mean the whole machine, but any
moving parts you can get at, and where the noise is. if you can get to
the bearings then a blast for them
Old 07-04-2013, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

I really didn't think I would have to spell it out to a man of your age
and experience.
When I said blast it Naturally I didn't mean the whole machine, but any
moving parts you can get at, and where the noise is. if you can get to
the bearings then a blast for them

There are none. I was asking specifically because I would have to
dismantle it to get any any relevant parts, and because that might
well write it off. It's not what to do once I get at the bearings;
it's whether getting at them is feasible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

[...]

Perhaps a blast with WD 40 would get in where anything else might not !
Do you have any idea which part is squeeking?

Bill

Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

I can post some pictures on tinypic, or email them to you, if you
think it's the same model and if you're interested.

It definitely isn't, but the fact that you succeeded is useful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.