GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tall, narrow plants for south-facing sticky bed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/206963-tall-narrow-plants-south-facing-sticky-bed.html)

Jo[_7_] 28-04-2013 08:01 PM

Tall, narrow plants for south-facing sticky bed

I'm after some ideas for tall, narrow (bed is 24" deep) plants to go in
a south-facing, sticky bed. I'd prefer evergreens. Any ideas?

David Hill 28-04-2013 09:00 PM

On 28/04/2013 20:01, Jo wrote:
I'm after some ideas for tall, narrow (bed is 24" deep) plants to go in
a south-facing, sticky bed. I'd prefer evergreens. Any ideas?

Why is it sticky?
Clay or damp problems?
Part of the country?
So the bed is 24 inches deep (Wide) how long?
What's in front of the bed?
What is behind it?

Jo[_7_] 28-04-2013 09:42 PM

On 28/04/2013 21:00, David Hill wrote:
On 28/04/2013 20:01, Jo wrote:
I'm after some ideas for tall, narrow (bed is 24" deep) plants to go in
a south-facing, sticky bed. I'd prefer evergreens. Any ideas?

Why is it sticky?
Clay or damp problems?
Part of the country?
So the bed is 24 inches deep (Wide) how long?
What's in front of the bed?
What is behind it?

Sorry David, I didn't give any more info. Just getting used to new way
of viewing newsgroups so a bit stumped!

Clay soil. The narrow part of the bed is about 4 ft long so I only need
a couple of narrow tall plants!
I'm in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex.
Grass in front of bed. Tall fence behind.

Jo

Janet 28-04-2013 09:52 PM

Tall, narrow plants for south-facing sticky bed

In article ,
says...

I'm after some ideas for tall, narrow (bed is 24" deep) plants to go in
a south-facing, sticky bed. I'd prefer evergreens. Any ideas?

Fastigiate golden yew. Dark purple phormium. At the front you'll have
room for some red watsonias, or crocosmia George Davies (golden flowers)

Janet

Jo[_7_] 29-04-2013 05:53 PM

Tall, narrow plants for south-facing sticky bed

On 28/04/2013 21:52, Janet wrote:
red watsonias

Thanks Janet. Lovely ideas, but I think the yew will be a little too
big. I don't really want anything that'll grow taller than the fence!

Jo

Sacha[_10_] 29-04-2013 06:02 PM

On 2013-04-29 17:53:44 +0100, Jo said:

On 28/04/2013 21:52, Janet wrote:
red watsonias

Thanks Janet. Lovely ideas, but I think the yew will be a little too
big. I don't really want anything that'll grow taller than the fence!

Jo

You can keep yew trimmed to exactly where you want it and whatever
shape you want it. It's the conifer that forgives and lives to grow!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_10_] 29-04-2013 06:02 PM

On 2013-04-29 17:53:44 +0100, Jo said:

On 28/04/2013 21:52, Janet wrote:
red watsonias

Thanks Janet. Lovely ideas, but I think the yew will be a little too
big. I don't really want anything that'll grow taller than the fence!

Jo

I should have added that if 'sticky' means wet, yews won't like that, however!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Janet 29-04-2013 06:12 PM

Tall, narrow plants for south-facing sticky bed

In article ,
says...

On 28/04/2013 21:52, Janet wrote:
red watsonias

Thanks Janet. Lovely ideas, but I think the yew will be a little too
big. I don't really want anything that'll grow taller than the fence!

Jo

It's a very slow form of yew and can be cut and shaped to fit.

Janet