GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Have I made a mistake? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207113-have-i-made-mistake.html)

[email protected] 12-05-2013 01:35 PM

Have I made a mistake?

Does Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum) usually flower at the
same time as common lawn daisies? If so, I have put some in
the wrong place :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jake 12-05-2013 02:12 PM

Have I made a mistake?

On Sun, 12 May 2013 13:35:18 +0100 (BST), wrote:

Does Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum) usually flower at the
same time as common lawn daisies? If so, I have put some in
the wrong place :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

If you mean O.umbellatum, it's spring flowering so "Yes". The other
hardy spring one is O.nutans which is less invasive.

The tender ones flower around July.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================

[email protected] 12-05-2013 02:27 PM

Have I made a mistake?

In article ,
Jake wrote:

Does Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum) usually flower at the
same time as common lawn daisies? If so, I have put some in
the wrong place :-(

If you mean O.umbellatum, it's spring flowering so "Yes". The other
hardy spring one is O.nutans which is less invasive.

It is supposed to be O. umbellatum, but "spring flowering"
isn't a single epoch. Most of the naturalisable spring flowering
bulbs are early spring, but bluebells and daisies are late spring.

If it normally flowers a bit earlier, then it won't be hidden
by the daisies. If it normally flowers late, I need to plant
some more in another place.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jake 12-05-2013 02:53 PM

Have I made a mistake?

On Sun, 12 May 2013 14:27:33 +0100 (BST), wrote:

It is supposed to be O. umbellatum, but "spring flowering"
isn't a single epoch. Most of the naturalisable spring flowering
bulbs are early spring, but bluebells and daisies are late spring.

If it normally flowers a bit earlier, then it won't be hidden
by the daisies. If it normally flowers late, I need to plant
some more in another place.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mine (nutans) have gone over. They're not in the lawn but would be a
lot higher than daisies if they were. This article on the Guardian web
site indicates some may be flowering later:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...star-bethlehem

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================

[email protected] 12-05-2013 03:00 PM

Have I made a mistake?

In article ,
Jake wrote:

It is supposed to be O. umbellatum, but "spring flowering"
isn't a single epoch. Most of the naturalisable spring flowering
bulbs are early spring, but bluebells and daisies are late spring.

If it normally flowers a bit earlier, then it won't be hidden
by the daisies. If it normally flowers late, I need to plant
some more in another place.

Mine (nutans) have gone over. They're not in the lawn but would be a
lot higher than daisies if they were. This article on the Guardian web
site indicates some may be flowering later:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...star-bethlehem

Which isn't even an Ornithogalum. Mine are much higher than the
daisies, but that is irrelevant. What I am asking is whether they
(O. umbellatum) usually flower at the same time as daffodils and
crocuses or bluebells and daisies.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 16-05-2013 11:04 PM

Have I made a mistake?

On 12/05/2013 13:35, wrote:
Does Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum) usually flower at the
same time as common lawn daisies? If so, I have put some in
the wrong place :-(

I checked out a local site for Ornithogalum yesterday. The flower buds
are just forming, which puts the start its flowering after that of
bluebells. (Since Bellis perennis flowers all year, I'm not sure what
date to select for comparison with it.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

kay 17-05-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] (Post 983480)

I checked out a local site for Ornithogalum yesterday. The flower buds
are just forming, which puts the start its flowering after that of
bluebells. (Since Bellis perennis flowers all year, I'm not sure what
date to select for comparison with it.)[color=blue][i]

My Ornithogalum has been out for at least a week but the bluebells are nowhere near flowering yet. I'm not sure this year can tell you anything about flowering order in a normal year.

Our daisies don't flower all year. They're in flower now, so I suppose probably it's usually April when they start.

[email protected] 17-05-2013 08:24 AM

Have I made a mistake?

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 12/05/2013 13:35, wrote:
Does Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum) usually flower at the
same time as common lawn daisies? If so, I have put some in
the wrong place :-(

I checked out a local site for Ornithogalum yesterday. The flower buds
are just forming, which puts the start its flowering after that of
bluebells. (Since Bellis perennis flowers all year, I'm not sure what
date to select for comparison with it.)

Thanks. I made a mistake, then. But it's a nice bulb, so I may
get more of it and use it as a successor.

Bellis perennis (at least in cool winter areas) flowers with a burst
at about the same time as bluebells, and then on-and-off all summer.
There are occasionaly earlier flowers, but very few.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.