Old 12-05-2013, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Have I made a mistake?

Does Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum) usually flower at the
same time as common lawn daisies? If so, I have put some in
the wrong place :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jake wrote:

Does Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum) usually flower at the
same time as common lawn daisies? If so, I have put some in
the wrong place :-(

If you mean O.umbellatum, it's spring flowering so "Yes". The other
hardy spring one is O.nutans which is less invasive.

It is supposed to be O. umbellatum, but "spring flowering"
isn't a single epoch. Most of the naturalisable spring flowering
bulbs are early spring, but bluebells and daisies are late spring.

If it normally flowers a bit earlier, then it won't be hidden
by the daisies. If it normally flowers late, I need to plant
some more in another place.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jake wrote:

It is supposed to be O. umbellatum, but "spring flowering"
isn't a single epoch. Most of the naturalisable spring flowering
bulbs are early spring, but bluebells and daisies are late spring.

If it normally flowers a bit earlier, then it won't be hidden
by the daisies. If it normally flowers late, I need to plant
some more in another place.

Mine (nutans) have gone over. They're not in the lawn but would be a
lot higher than daisies if they were. This article on the Guardian web
site indicates some may be flowering later:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...star-bethlehem

Which isn't even an Ornithogalum. Mine are much higher than the
daisies, but that is irrelevant. What I am asking is whether they
(O. umbellatum) usually flower at the same time as daffodils and
crocuses or bluebells and daisies.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-05-2013, 07:16 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] View Post

I checked out a local site for Ornithogalum yesterday. The flower buds
are just forming, which puts the start its flowering after that of
bluebells. (Since Bellis perennis flowers all year, I'm not sure what
date to select for comparison with it.)[color=blue][i]
My Ornithogalum has been out for at least a week but the bluebells are nowhere near flowering yet. I'm not sure this year can tell you anything about flowering order in a normal year.

Our daisies don't flower all year. They're in flower now, so I suppose probably it's usually April when they start.