Old 20-05-2013, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Davidia

Just seen small Davidia (Handkerchief Tree) in flower. It might have
been the cultivar "Sonoma" as it was only about 4 - 5 metres high and
had numerous flowers.

What was interesting is that although the leaves on the crown were their
usual green colour, there were two shoots coming out of the trunk about
30 cm above ground level on which all the leaves were purple-brown.
I've seen a few Davidias before, but can't ever remember seeing leaves
of that colour. Anyone else seen this colour on a Davidia? If it's a
sport and can be propagated, and flowering isn't affected, the leaves
would make a fabulous foil for the white bracts.

--

Jeff
Old 21-05-2013, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 20 May 2013 21:00:23 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

What was interesting is that although the leaves on the crown were their
usual green colour, there were two shoots coming out of the trunk about
30 cm above ground level on which all the leaves were purple-brown. I've
seen a few Davidias before, but can't ever remember seeing leaves of
that colour. Anyone else seen this colour on a Davidia? If it's a
sport and can be propagated, and flowering isn't affected, the leaves
would make a fabulous foil for the white bracts.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, the new leaves do sometimes come out that colour. I have a
volunteer coming up which did that this "spring" (if we can call it that).

My Davidia is poorly, it loses more height every year, soon the volunteer
may be all that's left. Actually I'll almost surely pull it if it keeps
dying back.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 21-05-2013, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/05/2013 14:40, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info, Emery. It has been pointed out to me that this was
epicormic growth, but I couldn't find any mention on the internet of
epicormic growth being different from normal growth.

But there are purple cultivars (just don't limit your search to the
UK!). For example, see he
http://gardenbreizh.org/modules/gbdb...volucrata.html

Photo of "Crimson Spring" he
http://www.brokenarrownursery.com/sh...ring-dove-tree
I wonder why it isn't available in the UK.

--

Jeff