Old 13-06-2013, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coir

Just bought some coir blocks,
Has anyone had any experience with using coir in compost?
Old 13-06-2013, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:03:54 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Just bought some coir blocks,
Has anyone had any experience with using coir in compost?

I've been trying to find a source that will deliver cheaply in France.
Usually the delivery is as expensive as the blocks.

I know a few majors in Boskoop who are very high on it. Esveld is using
about 50% for maples; it drains really well. In general the maple
community is very high on coir.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 13-06-2013, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Just bought some coir blocks,
Has anyone had any experience with using coir in compost?

I now grow on all my annual bedding plants in "pure" coir (just add
plant food as the coir I buy is nutrient free). I get better results
as roots develop faster. If I have to miss a day watering, coir is
much more forgiving than ordinary compost as it doesn't form a crust
on the surface.

I've had mixed results with seed sowing in pure coir but get very good
results with a mix of 50:50 coir and ordinary multi-purpose compost.

Hanging baskets and wall planters for the annuals now get a mix of
50:50 coir and a good container compost to which I add some "gel and
feed" granules. The compost is there really to add to the water
retention as coir is too free draining to use in containers on its own
but, again, the coir helps to prevent a crust forming on the surface
if I cannot water for a day or two and it's loose fibrous structure
encourages ongoing root development.

I buy a year's supply in bulk on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x70lt-C...item23084292ea

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 13-06-2013, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/06/2013 10:03, David Hill wrote:
Just bought some coir blocks,
Has anyone had any experience with using coir in compost?

Drains quite quickly otherwise fine. Very good for cuttings.
Paul
Old 13-06-2013, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I got mine from there buy my question should have been how much water
do you add to the block to break it up?

Old 13-06-2013, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I can't speak for the little "brick size" blocks but for the "bales"
(the foot square by about 4" thick ones), I put one in a wheelbarrow,
pour 20 litres of water over, rather than around the bale, leave for a
couple of hours, break up with a fork and dribble more water onto any
remaining dry bits (no more than another 3 litres). Then I generally
leave it overnight to settle, fork over again in the morning and
voila.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 13-06-2013, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jake
I've got the 65 litr "Bales"
David@ a now damp side of Swansea bay
Old 13-06-2013, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:39:49 +0100, Jake wrote:

I buy a year's supply in bulk on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x70lt-C...kes-up-700lts-

Fert-/150462436074?
pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Fertiliser_CV&hash =item23084292ea

Thanks for the link, they look to have a lot of other good stuff too.
Unfortunately (as is often the case) won't ship to France.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 13-06-2013, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/06/2013 18:58, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:39:49 +0100, Jake wrote:

I buy a year's supply in bulk on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x70lt-C...kes-up-700lts-

Fert-/150462436074?
pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Fertiliser_CV&hash =item23084292ea

Thanks for the link, they look to have a lot of other good stuff too.
Unfortunately (as is often the case) won't ship to France.

They are under going changes, and their web site is due to be redone.