Old 30-06-2013, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID

You may not be able to see this without a Twitter account, I'm not
sure. But does anyone know what this is?
https://twitter.com/Lnc13/status/350...493184/photo/1
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-06-2013, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/06/2013 09:17, Sacha wrote:
You may not be able to see this without a Twitter account, I'm not
sure. But does anyone know what this is?
https://twitter.com/Lnc13/status/350...493184/photo/1

I'd say it's a form of Celosia
Old 30-06-2013, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/06/2013 09:17, Sacha wrote:
You may not be able to see this without a Twitter account, I'm not
sure. But does anyone know what this is?
https://twitter.com/Lnc13/status/350...493184/photo/1

Could be a Ptilotus.

--

Jeff
Old 30-06-2013, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-30 09:55:41 +0100, David Hill said:

On 30/06/2013 09:17, Sacha wrote:
You may not be able to see this without a Twitter account, I'm not
sure. But does anyone know what this is?
https://twitter.com/Lnc13/status/350...493184/photo/1

I'd say it's a form of Celosia

Highly possible! I've told the original questioner and credited you
with the answer! Thanks, David.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-06-2013, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-30 09:57:55 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

On 30/06/2013 09:17, Sacha wrote:
You may not be able to see this without a Twitter account, I'm not
sure. But does anyone know what this is?
https://twitter.com/Lnc13/status/350...493184/photo/1

Could be a Ptilotus.

I'll pass that on too, Jeff and thank you. I think the flower heads in
the original look too 'together' for Pilotus though And would a Pilotus
survive outdoors in a UK garden? It's not a plant I know at all but nor
is the Celosia except as those horrible florists' things that look like
a bit of someone's brain!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-06-2013, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-30 09:57:55 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

On 30/06/2013 09:17, Sacha wrote:
You may not be able to see this without a Twitter account, I'm not
sure. But does anyone know what this is?
https://twitter.com/Lnc13/status/350...493184/photo/1

Could be a Ptilotus.

I'll pass that on too, Jeff and thank you. I think the flower heads in
the original look too 'together' for Pilotus though And would a Pilotus
survive outdoors in a UK garden? It's not a plant I know at all but nor
is the Celosia except as those horrible florists' things that look like
a bit of someone's brain!

Both Ptilotus and Celosia are members of the Amaranthaceae, so I would
guess are pretty closely related. Neither would be considered hardy in
the UK, but could be grown as HHA. Have a look at
http://www.hishtil.com/htmls/page_26...8099&bsp=18051 - here is
a cultivar being offered for sale in Europe. I see no reason why it
shouldn't be grown successfully in London.

--

Jeff
Old 30-06-2013, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-30 09:57:55 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

[...]

Thanks, Jeff. I noticed that the photo I posted here seems to show
bronze foliage so it could be a new form. The person who sent it to
Twitter has just moved into the house, so they found it there already.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-30 09:55:41 +0100, David Hill said:

On 30/06/2013 09:17, Sacha wrote:
You may not be able to see this without a Twitter account, I'm not
sure. But does anyone know what this is?
https://twitter.com/Lnc13/status/350...493184/photo/1

I'd say it's a form of Celosia

The owner has now seen my answer, looked up the plant and you're right
on the money! She says it looks like or similar to C.Caracas. Well
done, David and thank you from me and from her!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com