GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Billhook (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207844-billhook.html)

Christina Websell 23-07-2013 07:08 PM

Billhook

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

Tina

S Viemeister[_2_] 23-07-2013 08:06 PM

Billhook

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

They're really useful tools - mine was left in the garage by the
previous owner, along with a few other useful bits and pieces.

Tom Gardner[_2_] 23-07-2013 08:44 PM

Billhook

On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:
I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

I remember thoroughly enjoying using one when I was a child,
when pruning apple trees. The one I used (which was probably
1930s vintage) had far more of a hook-shaped blade (like a
capital letter J) than any I've seen since.

Must remember to try to find another...

Christina Websell 23-07-2013 09:35 PM

Billhook

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:
I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it
back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she
will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

I remember thoroughly enjoying using one when I was a child,
when pruning apple trees. The one I used (which was probably
1930s vintage) had far more of a hook-shaped blade (like a
capital letter J) than any I've seen since.

Must remember to try to find another...

Mine has a J shaped blade with another blade on the top so you can swipe
both ways and now it's amazingly sharp..
My house was built in the 30's so maybe it's of that vintage. Just have to
get a handle for it, although I can use it without one as the iron bit wot
had one on once is still there.
To fit a new handle, the top bit would have be sawn off, as there is
something round there that presumably kept the original handle on and would
prevent a new handle being fitted.
Assuming I can find a new handle, and I might be able to, I will have a
lovely old hedge splasher up and running.

Tina

David Hill 23-07-2013 11:13 PM

Billhook

On 23/07/2013 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:
I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

Tina

Those are collectors items, I suggest you try a google search for Bill
hooks they start at around £15 on ebay.
The shape depends on where they come from, and thus their use.
I seem to remember that the Norfolk bill had a flat spine so that the
blade was used to cut hazel or willow pieces used to hold the thatch on
a house whilst the back (Spine) was used to hammer them into the thatch.
Whilst the Sussex bill was used to cut Hazel the curved blade whilst the
back was a straight blade used to cut the hazel to length for hurdle making.
At one time there were well over 100 different patterns in use across
the UK.

sacha 23-07-2013 11:30 PM

Billhook

On 2013-07-23 21:35:40 +0100, Christina Websell said:

[...]

Would that have been used for hedge laying too?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Christina Websell 24-07-2013 12:17 AM

Billhook

"Sacha" wrote
Would that have been used for hedge laying too?
--

Yes. Perfect tool for that. It's why it's called a hedge splasher here!

Dave Liquorice[_2_] 24-07-2013 12:36 AM

Billhook

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 21:35:40 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

Just have to get a handle for it, although I can use it without one as
the iron bit wot had one on once is still there.

The tang.

To fit a new handle, the top bit would have be sawn off, as there is
something round there that presumably kept the original handle on and
would prevent a new handle being fitted.

I find that a bit hard to understand. Chance of photo somewhere?
(with a directlink to the image file so we don't need "plugins" or
WHY to view a file that browsers can do without any "help").

Assuming I can find a new handle, and I might be able to, I will have a
lovely old hedge splasher up and running.

There is at least one on eBay (£6.20 inc)... I'm not sure how you fix
the tang into the handle, just shoving it into a hole in the handle
won't work reliably as use will make it work loose... Is there a hole
in the tang soa pin can be fitted through the handle and tang? or
maybe the tag goes right through the handle and is then hammered to
spread it out larger than the hole in the handle.

Here we a

http://billhooks.co.uk/edge-tool-mak...akers/handles/

Some form of the latter. (Warning: you might spend a lot of time
exploring that site...)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Christina Websell 24-07-2013 12:38 AM

Billhook

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Mine has a curved J blade and a square blade on top. Now very sharp, just
need a handle for
it to make it easier to use.

The person who sharpened it moaned about the rust but did a really good
job and I have to be very careful otherwise I might lose my fingers.

Tina

Christina Websell 24-07-2013 12:58 AM

Billhook

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

No. 40, William Swift.

S Viemeister[_2_] 24-07-2013 01:24 AM

Billhook

On 7/23/2013 7:36 PM, Dave Liquorice wrote:

http://billhooks.co.uk/edge-tool-mak...akers/handles/

Some form of the latter. (Warning: you might spend a lot of time
exploring that site...)

Oooh...
I've bookmarked that - a whole bunch of my favourite things - tools,
gardening, etymology, history.

David Hill 24-07-2013 09:37 AM

Billhook

On 24/07/2013 00:38, Christina Websell wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

The handle end of the blade should taper to almost a point.
This was inserted into the handle then the sprig that was protruding
from the back of the handle was hammered over to fix it

Tom Gardner[_2_] 24-07-2013 09:37 AM

Billhook

On 24/07/13 00:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Here we a

http://billhooks.co.uk/edge-tool-mak...akers/handles/

Some form of the latter. (Warning: you might spend a lot of time
exploring that site...)

How delightfully obsessive :) The only surprise is that he has
a page describing his other hobbies.

"My" old billhook was definitely a "Monmouth pattern"
rather than "Staffordshire pattern", and looks to be
a Kent billhook.

(Thanks for the necessary warning.)

sacha 24-07-2013 12:02 PM

Billhook

On 2013-07-24 00:17:24 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote
Would that have been used for hedge laying too?
--

Yes. Perfect tool for that. It's why it's called a hedge splasher here!

That's what made me wonder! Sounds like a nice find.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Baz[_3_] 24-07-2013 12:12 PM

Billhook

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have
it back suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new
handle and watch out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a
new handle, she will cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

Tina

I am surprised that you can buy them over the internet!
A very dangerous tool in the wrong hands.
I have seen them at car boot markets and always assumed that they were a
butchers tool. Especially the ones which have chopper like an axe on the
back of them.

Baz

indigo 24-07-2013 12:27 PM

Billhook

"Dave Liquorice" wrote
Here we a

http://billhooks.co.uk/edge-tool-mak...akers/handles/

Some form of the latter. (Warning: you might spend a lot of time
exploring that site...)

My parents had an old one when I was a child, very like the Elwell (item
2017) on that page. It was used for splitting kindling for the fire. I
bet it's still there somewhere in their shed.
--
Sue

Dave Liquorice[_2_] 24-07-2013 02:44 PM

Billhook

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:21:10 +0200, Martin wrote:

It's called a hedge slasher, which is not the same as billhook.

A hedge slasher has a long, 4 feet or so, handle doesn't it? Used for
slashing back the growth ona hedge leaving the heavier longer growths
to be laid.

The laying is done with a bill hook, partially cutting through the
uprights created above and bending them over, weaving between stakes
driven into the ground along the hedge. Stakes made from the
thinings.

--
Cheers
Dave.

David Hill 24-07-2013 03:11 PM

Billhook

On 2013-07-24 00:17:24 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote
Would that have been used for hedge laying too?
--

Yes. Perfect tool for that. It's why it's called a hedge splasher here!

That's what made me wonder! Sounds like a nice find.

I was brought up with a Bill hook being the short tool and the long
handled one being a Slasher/
David @ a still hot and sunny side of Swansea Bay.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] 25-07-2013 10:01 AM

Billhook

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:18:35 +0200, Martin wrote:

You snipped the bit where she called it a splasher? Why?

Brain read what it wanted to read not what was there... that is I
didn't spot the typo.

--
Cheers
Dave.

RustyHinge 25-07-2013 02:36 PM

Billhook

On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"

Slashers, ITYF

Mine has a top blade too.

Proper billhook. (Hatchet-on-a-stick)

Slasher handles *can* be obtained from old-fasioned ironmongers. Hickory
is best - I always manage to break ash handles in pretty short order,
even when linseed-oiled..

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge 25-07-2013 02:40 PM

Billhook

On 23/07/13 23:30, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-07-23 21:35:40 +0100, Christina Websell said:

[...]

No - too long.

A short-handled hook or slasher *might* be used by some, but a short
'pointy' bowsaw or pruning saw is more use.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge 25-07-2013 02:46 PM

Billhook

On 24/07/13 15:11, David Hill wrote:
I was brought up with a Bill hook being the short tool and the long
handled one being a Slasher/
David @ a still hot and sunny side of Swansea Bay.

Bill hook doubled as a foot-soldier's weapon (when I were a lad...), and
is, I think, properly on a long handle, though one with a short handle
like a hatchet's is called a billhook too.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge 25-07-2013 02:49 PM

Billhook

On 25/07/13 09:19, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:11:23 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I was brought up with a Bill hook being the short tool and the long
handled one being a Slasher/

Me too! Neither were called "splashers".

Slashers come in a variety of lenghths, from hatchet-length to
scrape-the-sky.

The difference lies in the shape (and usually, weight) of the blade.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge 25-07-2013 03:06 PM

Billhook

On 24/07/13 00:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:

There is at least one on eBay (£6.20 inc)... I'm not sure how you fix
the tang into the handle, just shoving it into a hole in the handle
won't work reliably as use will make it work loose...

A good eye, a spoke-shave and trial and error.

Clean out the flakes of rust, etc from the socket. If there is an old
rivet through it (side-to-side), cut it through with a padsaw - you can
get one (Eclipse make one which takes a hacksaw blade, which should be
fitted so it cuts when you drawit towards you).

When the socket fits the head *snugly*, tap it in by holding it upright
and banging the non-business end on a piece of wood.

Drill through the shoulder so the hole is in line with both holes in the
head. I mark the positions and remove the head and drill the hole
(carefully), then refit the head. Drilling in situ *can* be done, but
it's easy togo off line, and this makes for a weak spot.

Generally, I find a nail which fits tightly into all the holes, cut both
ends off the nail leaving about ¼" proud each side, then find an old
flatiron, cobbler's last, iron weight or best of all, an anvil, and
mushroom over your nail until it completely fills the countersink on the
blade's skirt.

Finish with a file.

--
Rusty Hinge

[email protected] 25-07-2013 03:19 PM

Billhook

In article ,
RustyHinge wrote:

Clean out the flakes of rust, etc from the socket. If there is an old
rivet through it (side-to-side), cut it through with a padsaw - you can
get one (Eclipse make one which takes a hacksaw blade, which should be
fitted so it cuts when you drawit towards you).

Heck, just wrap some insulating tape around a hacksaw blade - a
broken one can often be turned into one of those.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Janet 25-07-2013 09:52 PM

Billhook

In article ,
lid says...

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 14:44:16 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:21:10 +0200, Martin wrote:

It's called a hedge slasher, which is not the same as billhook.

A hedge slasher has a long, 4 feet or so, handle doesn't it? Used for
slashing back the growth ona hedge leaving the heavier longer growths
to be laid.

The laying is done with a bill hook, partially cutting through the
uprights created above and bending them over, weaving between stakes
driven into the ground along the hedge. Stakes made from the
thinings.

When I was a kid in N Yorks, hedge laying was done using just a
slasher.

You snipped the bit where she called it a splasher? Why?

Years ago I inherited one (the long handled blade) from an uncle who
had inherited it from his Irish grandfather; it must be at least a
hundred years old. He called it a plasher. I also have a bill hook
(bought new) which I used far more than the plasher when working on
hedges in our previous garden. But I keep the plasher anyway for
sentimental reasons.

Janet

Christina Websell 26-07-2013 01:58 AM

Billhook

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:21:10 +0200, Martin wrote:

It's called a hedge slasher, which is not the same as billhook.

A hedge slasher has a long, 4 feet or so, handle doesn't it? Used for
slashing back the growth ona hedge leaving the heavier longer growths
to be laid.

The laying is done with a bill hook, partially cutting through the
uprights created above and bending them over, weaving between stakes
driven into the ground along the hedge. Stakes made from the
thinings.

We call a hedge slasher just what I found, a billhook with a top blade.
Your view differs.

So interesting to know what your idea of it is.

Christina Websell 26-07-2013 02:23 AM

Billhook

"RustyHinge" wrote in message
On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it
back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she
will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"

Slashers, ITYF

No, we call them hedge splashers here.

Mine has a top blade too.

Proper billhook. (Hatchet-on-a-stick)

Slasher handles *can* be obtained from old-fasioned ironmongers. Hickory
is best - I always manage to break ash handles in pretty short order, even
when linseed-oiled..

I hope to find a handle for it, as I have some brambles that might not want
to see it.
I was lucky to find someone to sharpen my axes and billhook and I tell you
what, they are so so sharp now, I'm slightly afraid of them.
In case you wonder, I need an axe, I have a woodburner.

[email protected] 26-07-2013 06:48 PM

Billhook

On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:35:40 PM UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:

Assuming I can find a new handle, and I might be able to, I will have a

lovely old hedge splasher up and running.

Tina

Try a farm supply shop. The on in Stow-on-the-Wold certainly stock handles for all sorts of tools.

Jonathan

RustyHinge 28-07-2013 06:19 AM

Billhook

On 24/07/13 09:37, David Hill wrote:

The handle end of the blade should taper to almost a point.
This was inserted into the handle then the sprig that was protruding
from the back of the handle was hammered over to fix it

Most slashers' heads are forged so that a skirt is formed on the bottom
end, into which socket the handle is fixed.

The type with the tang through the handle is *very* weak, and the wood
must be capped at the blade end with a ferrule.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge 28-07-2013 06:21 AM

Billhook

On 26/07/13 09:23, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 14:36:53 +0100, RustyHinge
wrote:

On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"

Slashers, ITYF

Mine has a top blade too.

Proper billhook. (Hatchet-on-a-stick)

Slasher handles *can* be obtained from old-fasioned ironmongers. Hickory
is best - I always manage to break ash handles in pretty short order,
even when linseed-oiled..

Fork handles next?

Yes, in spades.

--
Rusty Hinge

Christina Websell 28-07-2013 10:00 PM

Billhook

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Wick-ipedia?
--

I might be able to find a handle for it and my friend knows how to fit it if
I can but if not it's back to duct tape around the handle.

Tom Gardner[_2_] 30-07-2013 04:52 PM

Billhook

On 23/07/13 20:44, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:
I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

I remember thoroughly enjoying using one when I was a child,
when pruning apple trees. The one I used (which was probably
1930s vintage) had far more of a hook-shaped blade (like a
capital letter J) than any I've seen since.

Must remember to try to find another...

It turns out there was no need to find another.

Much to my surprise I found the billhook buried in some
of my father's tools. After sharpening it works just fine
and is as pleasant to use as I remember.

Plus the blade was just as hook-shaped as I remember,
with the edge curving round about 120 degrees.

Happy daze.

Christina Websell 16-08-2013 03:26 AM

Billhook

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:01:02 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:18:35 +0200, Martin wrote:

You snipped the bit where she called it a splasher? Why?

Brain read what it wanted to read not what was there... that is I
didn't spot the typo.

OK I was correcting her typo/mistake.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

I didn't do a typo. Here in my small part of Leicestershire that tool I
described, kind of a billhook but with a blade on the back of it is called
a hedge splasher. with a P. don't ask me why, it's just so.
I just need to find a wooden handle for it as my friend is confident she can
fit one to it.

If I can't I can still use it by wrapping the handle in foam from my slingie
thingie I got in hospital; and on top of that, duct tape.
It's so amazingly sharp now that I am almost afraid of it.

Christina Websell 16-08-2013 03:52 AM

Billhook

[...]

The nearest thing I can find is the Elsworth 307 but the handle is not the
same. has a similar hook, but the top blade doesn't extend so far across.