Old 24-07-2013, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beetroot

Is it too late to sow more beetroot?
Those I've pulled so far, a bit bigger than golfball sized, have been
lovely even though it's been so dry. I ought to have sown more rows but
with only a small veg patch there's hardly been room. With new spuds
going fast there's now a bit of space to fill with extra salady things
and anything else I could still sow.

--
Sue

Old 24-07-2013, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/2013 13:50, Indigo wrote:
Is it too late to sow more beetroot?
Those I've pulled so far, a bit bigger than golfball sized, have been
lovely even though it's been so dry. I ought to have sown more rows but
with only a small veg patch there's hardly been room. With new spuds
going fast there's now a bit of space to fill with extra salady things
and anything else I could still sow.

Give it a try, What have you to loose?
Old 25-07-2013, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/2013 15:09, David Hill wrote:
On 24/07/2013 13:50, Indigo wrote:
Is it too late to sow more beetroot?

Give it a try, What have you to loose?

Apart from the cost of the seeds And if they don't make beets you can
always dig them in as a green manure!
Old 25-07-2013, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek Turner wrote in news:b5c9gkF4ribU1
@mid.individual.net:

On 24/07/2013 15:09, David Hill wrote:
On 24/07/2013 13:50, Indigo wrote:
Is it too late to sow more beetroot?

Give it a try, What have you to loose?

Apart from the cost of the seeds And if they don't make beets you can
always dig them in as a green manure!

And the leafs are very nice in a salad, eaten raw. I am sure you will get
some leafs at least. High in ferritin if you have iron deficiencies in the
blood, I am told.

Baz
Old 25-07-2013, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote:
Derek Turner wrote:

On 24/07/2013 15:09, David Hill wrote:
On 24/07/2013 13:50, Indigo wrote:
Is it too late to sow more beetroot?

Give it a try, What have you to loose?

Apart from the cost of the seeds And if they don't make beets you
can always dig them in as a green manure!

And the leafs are very nice in a salad, eaten raw. I am sure you will
get some leafs at least. High in ferritin if you have iron
deficiencies in the blood, I am told.

Don't know about that Baz, but a few extra minerals and vitamins surely
won't go amiss. I read one article that said some chemical in beetroot
helps you relax and lifts mood as well, so perhaps GPs ought to be
prescribing beetroot salads all round. I used to think cooking fresh
beets was a messy affair that stained your pans and took hours, but just
washing and top'n' tailing small ones and baking them in foil is a
breeze, I found.

We had a bit of welcome rain last night so I'll rake the cleared bit
over and put another row in while it's still moist.

Thanks all.
--
Sue

Old 25-07-2013, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Indigo
writes
Is it too late to sow more beetroot?
Those I've pulled so far, a bit bigger than golfball sized, have been
lovely even though it's been so dry. I ought to have sown more rows but
with only a small veg patch there's hardly been room. With new spuds
going fast there's now a bit of space to fill with extra salady things
and anything else I could still sow.

Probably too late
Sow some more salad instead would be my advice.
--
bert
Old 25-07-2013, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2013 10:29, Derek Turner wrote:
On 24/07/2013 15:09, David Hill wrote:
On 24/07/2013 13:50, Indigo wrote:
Is it too late to sow more beetroot?

Give it a try, What have you to loose?

Apart from the cost of the seeds And if they don't make beets you can
always dig them in as a green manure!

When I grow beetroot I always cook the tops, like spinach but even nicer.
Old 26-07-2013, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote:
On 25/07/2013 10:29, Derek Turner wrote:
On 24/07/2013 15:09, David Hill wrote:
On 24/07/2013 13:50, Indigo wrote:
Is it too late to sow more beetroot?

Give it a try, What have you to loose?

Apart from the cost of the seeds And if they don't make beets you
can always dig them in as a green manure!

When I grow beetroot I always cook the tops, like spinach but even
nicer.

Sounds good; I'll try that as well - waste not, want not.

--
Sue

Old 28-07-2013, 06:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/13 20:17, David Hill wrote:

When I grow beetroot I always cook the tops, like spinach but even nicer.

+1

--
Rusty Hinge

Beetroot Nitro® United Kingdom 2 28-05-2007 12:55 PM
Advice please about radish and beetroot scallyally Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2007 11:53 AM
Beetroot tops The Reids United Kingdom 9 26-08-2004 10:37 AM
Beetroot Darkginger United Kingdom 5 08-07-2003 11:41 PM
Beetroot farmerbrown.fsnet.co.uk@fs United Kingdom 1 26-02-2003 05:39 AM