GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Battery-powered hedge trimmers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208209-battery-powered-hedge-trimmers.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 27-08-2013 06:45 PM

Battery-powered hedge trimmers

Spider sorry it's been a long time in replying, but I have only just had the
chance to talk to Julie. We are both busy and our paths don't cross to
often, and when they do, we do tend to natter for a long time.

Anyway, she has a 'gtech' which if it is anything like the battery vacuum
cleaner, is superb. We have a Vacuum Cleaner at the theatre and we were so
impressed we bought one for home.

I believe the gardener now want a gtech battery hedge trimmer!!!!

(Thanks for the contacts re Bay Leaves. Should have replied to you all by
now)

Mike

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

Spider my next door neighbour has a battery pack one I think, that is a
battery which is in a pouch around her waist. I know it is very lightweight
and I will see what it is and give you the details.

I know what you mean about the heavy machines. Since my second major
operation I am weak in the left arm and the mains hedge trimmer I have,
purchased when I was a lot younger with a huge garden, gets too heavy after
a few minutes, especially when working up a ladder.

I know exactly what you mean and want and will have a word with Julie or
Steve when they come in re the small one Julie uses

Mike

"Spider" wrote in message ...

I am on the verge of acquiring a hedge trimmer, and would be grateful
for advice and comments from other users. It will be used for two small
Euonymous hedges (about 40ft long in total), and a large yew
specimen-cum-topiary. It needs to be cable-free and, since I don't
fancy working with a petrol-powered machine, that means battery-powered.

For those who don't already know, I am a lady spider, so I would need to
avoid the heaviest machines, but I don't want a flimsy 'toy' model,
either. Having looked at one or two online, the gripping handles look
huge for a lady's hand, so that might be an issue.

Advice from anyone would be appreciated, but I am keen to hear from
other ladies on their opinions re bulky handles. Safety is also a
concern and I know some models have two brakes rather than one. How
much is this necessary/essential? How easy are they to use?

Lastly, although I intend to buy two batteries, comments on length of
charge and charging time would be helpful. Also, does charge and
charging time deteriorate over time?

Cost isn't an enormous issue, but I come from Yorkshire so I don't want
to throw money away ;~).

Thank you for your time.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

David Hill 27-08-2013 08:04 PM

Battery-powered hedge trimmers

Well, we've finally ordered a battery-operated Bosch, so it will be
interesting to see how it performs. I need to get some goggles now,
otherwise I won't be able to use it.

Robotic?
I'd have thought you would have been the one to operate it, and it would
have been battery powered,

Spider[_3_] 27-08-2013 10:54 PM

On 27/08/2013 14:21, S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/27/2013 9:19 AM, Spider wrote:

Well, we've finally ordered a battery-operated Bosch, so it will be
interesting to see how it performs. I need to get some goggles now,
otherwise I won't be able to use it.

Which model did you order?

It was the Bosch AHS 54-20 Li with a 36V battery pack.

In fact, it came today! We charged up the battery and gave it a little
test. RG had a go first, then I did. It's very good, and will be
better when I've had a bit of practise. It certainly seems to be well
made and the blade is *sharp*. Between us, we trimmed both small
Euonymous microphylla hedges (approx 40ft long in total) and an almost
6ft yew specimen which I want to topiarise. We both had a bit of
trouble persuading young, whippy shoots to feed themselves into the
blade, rather than bending away, but I think that's part of acquiring
the right technique. In fact, I think a helpful poster suggested
something earlier in this thread, so I shall look back at that to see
what was said.

I can't properly comment on the time it took to charge because I think
it was partially charged when it came. However, it was still going
strong when we finished with it, so no problems.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

It's early days to recommend it without more useage, but I think I may
be recommending in the not too distant future :~).

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, comments and links. It's all
been worthwhile :~)).

S Viemeister[_2_] 28-08-2013 01:00 AM

On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
On 27/08/2013 14:21, S Viemeister wrote:
Which model did you order?

It was the Bosch AHS 54-20 Li with a 36V battery pack.

Looks good - but I'll need to save up a bit more!

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

It's early days to recommend it without more useage, but I think I may
be recommending in the not too distant future :~).

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, comments and links. It's all
been worthwhile :~)).

Please report back on it after you've used it for a while - it may
encourage/help justify a splurge.

S Viemeister[_2_] 28-08-2013 12:22 PM

On 8/28/2013 5:58 AM, Martin wrote:
wrote:
On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

Bosch trimmers prefer German blondes :-)

I suppose I could dye my hair...

Spider[_3_] 28-08-2013 11:06 PM

On 28/08/2013 01:00, S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
On 27/08/2013 14:21, S Viemeister wrote:
Which model did you order?

It was the Bosch AHS 54-20 Li with a 36V battery pack.

Looks good - but I'll need to save up a bit more!

Shop around as winter approaches. You may get a good deal.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

I'm sure I'd look up to you ;~), but this Spider's already got a victim.
Heh heh.

It's early days to recommend it without more useage, but I think I may
be recommending in the not too distant future :~).

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, comments and links. It's all
been worthwhile :~)).

Please report back on it after you've used it for a while - it may
encourage/help justify a splurge.

Will do. I promise.

Spider[_3_] 28-08-2013 11:06 PM

Battery-powered hedge trimmers

On 28/08/2013 10:58, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:00:44 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
On 27/08/2013 14:21, S Viemeister wrote:
Which model did you order?

It was the Bosch AHS 54-20 Li with a 36V battery pack.

Looks good - but I'll need to save up a bit more!

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

Bosch trimmers prefer German blondes :-)

That's a load of Bosch!! ;~)).

Spider[_3_] 28-08-2013 11:07 PM

wrote:
On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

Bosch trimmers prefer German blondes :-)

I suppose I could dye my hair...

Nah .. just trim it a bit .. I've got the perfect tool!

Spider[_3_] 28-08-2013 11:08 PM

Battery-powered hedge trimmers

On 28/08/2013 21:37, Martin wrote:

wrote:
On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

Bosch trimmers prefer German blondes :-)

I suppose I could dye my hair...

or give it a quick trim before the battery goes flat.

Rats! You beat me to it!

Sacha[_11_] 28-08-2013 11:38 PM

wrote:
On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

Bosch trimmers prefer German blondes :-)

I suppose I could dye my hair...

or give it a quick trim before the battery goes flat.

Rats! You beat me to it!

Rats tails?! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_11_] 29-08-2013 05:45 PM

wrote:

On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
On 27/08/2013 14:21, S Viemeister wrote:
Which model did you order?

It was the Bosch AHS 54-20 Li with a 36V battery pack.

Looks good - but I'll need to save up a bit more!

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

Bosch trimmers prefer German blondes :-)

That's a load of Bosch!! ;~)).

There's a Siemens pun lurking somewhere.

Well navigate your way around it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Spider[_3_] 29-08-2013 10:31 PM

wrote:
On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible
and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To
put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I
can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

Bosch trimmers prefer German blondes :-)

I suppose I could dye my hair...

or give it a quick trim before the battery goes flat.

Rats! You beat me to it!

Rats tails?! ;-)

I wouldn't want to trim a rat's tail. The angry end might turn round
and bite me :-/

Spider[_3_] 29-08-2013 10:35 PM

wrote:
On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

Bosch trimmers prefer German blondes :-)

I suppose I could dye my hair...

Nah .. just trim it a bit .. I've got the perfect tool!

Bosch multi tool can be used to polish your scalp.

But I don't want a shiny pate, thank you! I'm a hairy spider :~).

Spider[_3_] 29-08-2013 10:37 PM

wrote:

On 8/27/2013 5:54 PM, Spider wrote:
On 27/08/2013 14:21, S Viemeister wrote:
Which model did you order?

It was the Bosch AHS 54-20 Li with a 36V battery pack.

Looks good - but I'll need to save up a bit more!

All in all, I'm very pleased with it. I may even have to plant more
hedges or topiary subjects! Allowing for being seriously sensible and
safety-concious, one might even be inclined to say it's fun. To put all
this into perspective, I'm a 5ft 4" 58yr old blonde woman - if I can do
it, anyone can do it!

I'm a bit older, brunette, and a lot taller - it should be a snap. :)

Bosch trimmers prefer German blondes :-)

That's a load of Bosch!! ;~)).

There's a Siemens pun lurking somewhere.

Wrong spelling. It's "She was only a seaman's daughter .." ;~).

RG[_3_] 29-08-2013 10:51 PM

wrote:

[...]

We don't wish to know that. Kindly leave the naval base :(