GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Large black dragonfly (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208289-large-black-dragonfly.html)

Sacha[_11_] 11-09-2013 11:22 AM

Large black dragonfly

I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bob Hobden 11-09-2013 05:19 PM

Large black dragonfly

"Sacha" wrote ..

I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.

Probably one of these...

http://www.british-dragonflies.org.u...s/black-darter

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Sacha[_11_] 11-09-2013 05:57 PM

Large black dragonfly

On 2013-09-11 17:19:26 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ..

I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.

Probably one of these...
http://www.british-dragonflies.org.u...s/black-darter

Thanks so much, Bob. I'll try it out on the person who saw it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_11_] 12-09-2013 04:40 PM

Large black dragonfly

On 2013-09-11 17:19:26 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ..

I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.

Probably one of these...
http://www.british-dragonflies.org.u...s/black-darter

It was this one, Bob. I talked today to one of the staff who'd seen it
here and another who'd seen it at her mother's home in Wales. Gorgeous
thing!
http://www.dragonfly-images.co.uk/#/...fly/4531807174
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_11_] 13-09-2013 10:31 AM

Large black dragonfly

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2013-09-11 17:19:26 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ..
I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.

Probably one of these...
http://www.british-dragonflies.org.u...s/black-darter

It was this one, Bob. I talked today to one of the staff who'd seen it
here and another who'd seen it at her mother's home in Wales. Gorgeous
thing!
http://www.dragonfly-images.co.uk/#/...fly/4531807174

They're splendid animals, aren't they?

It's worth noting that they patrol territories, so that if you see one
flying past, or perched and you disturb it, just wait where you are and
in a few minutes time it is very likely to come by again.

Thanks, Malcolm. Apparently, the one seen here was indeed seen in
exactly the same spot a couple of days later. But we don't know if it
had returned or just hadn't moved! I hope very much we see it again -
I've never seen it yet! We've had lots of dragonflies and damselflies
around this year but nobody's ever seen this species before.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com