GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storing Beetroot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208495-storing-beetroot.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 09-10-2013 03:00 PM

Storing Beetroot

Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Wendy Tinley 09-10-2013 03:09 PM

Storing Beetroot

On 09/10/2013 15:00, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

I'll store it with shallots in vinegar, if you give me half a chance!

:-)

--
Wendy Tinley
SE Sheffield

Baz[_3_] 09-10-2013 03:40 PM

Storing Beetroot

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

It just goes to show how different things can turn out.
Our beetroot has been very poor this year.
We leave ours in the ground for as long as possible before frosts and
pickle the larger ones, or make wine from them, or both.
The smaller ones can be stored in ever so slightly moist newspaper or
sawdust to use as a boiling veg. They don't seem to keep well. 2 months is
my experience. They go woody after that IME.

Baz

Baz[_3_] 09-10-2013 04:15 PM

Storing Beetroot

Wendy Tinley wrote in
:

On 09/10/2013 15:00, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

I'll store it with shallots in vinegar, if you give me half a chance!

:-)

Same here.
I love them boiled, as you would do with carrots.
If you don't mind pink mashed potatoes, put them to cook on the top of your
steamer.:-;

Baz

Bill Grey 09-10-2013 06:39 PM

Storing Beetroot

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
Having more beetroot than normal, and given the cold
weather promised, I was wondering if you can store
beetroot as per other root veggies like carrots,
swedes etc.

My inclination is to lift, trim the leaves off to
about and inch, the store in frost proof garage. Any
disadvantages?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

I seem to recall alternate layers of sliced beetroot and onion in something
like a sweet jar which was filled with vinegar. There may have been some
sugar involved to "sweeten" the beetroot. This preserve was consumed at
Xmas.

Perhaps someone can fine tune the hint I've given.

Bill