GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT Grammer question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208548-ot-grammer-question.html)

shazzbat 16-10-2013 11:09 PM

On 16/10/2013 16:55, Spider wrote:
On 16/10/2013 14:51, Gary Woods wrote:

Janet 16-10-2013 11:09 PM

On 16/10/2013 20:41, shazzbat wrote:

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 16-10-2013 11:22 PM

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...
On 16/10/2013 20:41, shazzbat wrote:
10,000 quid was stolen.

Half inched.

Not since metrication.

Actually, I think that someone half inched the metrication plans,
which is why nothing has happened in the past few decades ....

Personally, I think that we should go back to pounds, shillings
and ounces.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Gary Woods 16-10-2013 11:43 PM

OT Grammer question

Spider wrote:

I can answer my own question: "It would be (a sum of) $10,000 was
stolen".

Pretty much...English tends to treat a group word as plural, and American
as singular. Though we recently say "Congress are idiots" lately. A lot.
I'm sure there's an English corollary.

Janet 16-10-2013 11:44 PM

OT Grammer question

In article ,
says...

I hate the all-too-common aspiration of "h" when spoken during
spelling. It stems from this nonsensical phonetic teaching of the
alphabet, where young speakers are obliged to 'huff' when reciting the
alphabet or, indeed, when spelling out a word.

Pronouncing aitch as haitch, was in regional dialect use long before
phonetic teaching existed. Especially in Catholic schools.

Janet

Janet 17-10-2013 12:08 AM

OT Grammer question

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...
On 16/10/2013 20:41, shazzbat wrote:
10,000 quid was stolen.

Half inched.

Not since metrication.

Actually, I think that someone half inched the metrication plans,
which is why nothing has happened in the past few decades ....

Personally, I think that we should go back to pounds, shillings
and ounces.

So do I :-( Cooking dinner this evening I was congratulating myself
on paying only 37 pee for a cauliflower when my mother turned over in
her grave and quavered ghostily "seven and six for a cauli, aaargh"

Janet

Martin Brown 17-10-2013 09:05 AM

OT Grammer question

On 16/10/2013 21:42, David Hill wrote:
On 16/10/2013 21:22, Martin Brown wrote:

Language evolves - get used to it. Preserved in aspic it is useless.

Do you really think text speak and teenage grunts are positive progress?

2rli2tll

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

PS I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of texts I have
ever sent intentionally. I have sent quite a few null ones to my home
number (last number dialled) after forgetting to lock the keyboard.