Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 2013-11-08 15:45:41 +0000, Ophelia said:

"sacha" wrote in message
snip

I find it quite amusing that the new definition of 'a good summer' is -
what - 5 weeks of sunshine!

Now when I were a bairn ...

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

That is exactly the way it was!!! I remember it well! Now last year,
did we not have 3 week bbq weather?

I don't remember 1 week of barbecue weather. I think it must be the
only year when we didn't once have supper in the garden.

Oh I didn't see it! I just remember it being forecast!

Oh yes, we were told to expect it. Just as we were told this year that
we were entering a ten year cycle of wet wet wet. And then promptly had
several weeks of sunshine! The met office needs a new piece of seaweed
or the help of that man in Kent who (apparently 'always' predicts the
coming year's weather correctly. I won't give a link to articles about
him because they'll frighten those of a nervous disposition, having ad
links attached. ;-) Apparently, he wrote to the Queen to warn her that
the weather for last year's water pageant would be appalling. If so, he
was 100% correct!
In fact, the met offices admit they are pushed to predict beyond 5
days. Before going sailing, we always rang the met office for their
forecast and they preferred to give 3 days at most. Island nations,
such as the British Isles, are just too open to the vagaries of wind
and tide and the overall effect of the Gulf Stream and all those things
combined. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself
longing for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good
English downpour.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote in message
.. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself longing
for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good English
downpour.

Oh how I missed that in India!!! I so know what you mean! Another place
we lived we never saw snow. Our first winter home and it
snowed, I was so entranced that I think I stood at that window nearly all
day. Soon get used to it again though
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 09:27:20 +0000, Ophelia said:

"sacha" wrote in message
. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself longing
for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good English
downpour.

Oh how I missed that in India!!! I so know what you mean! Another
place we lived we never saw snow. Our first winter home and it
snowed, I was so entranced that I think I stood at that window nearly
all day. Soon get used to it again though

We always get excited about snow here, too. It doesn't happen every
year and not always in large quantities. When that happens, it does
lose its charm quickly!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 09:27:20 +0000, Ophelia said:

"sacha" wrote in message
. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself
longing
for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good English
downpour.

Oh how I missed that in India!!! I so know what you mean! Another
place we lived we never saw snow. Our first winter home and it
snowed, I was so entranced that I think I stood at that window nearly all
day. Soon get used to it again though

We always get excited about snow here, too. It doesn't happen every year
and not always in large quantities. When that happens, it does lose its
charm quickly!

Oh yes! Especially when it starts to get sludgy and mucky!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 13:05:16 -0000, "Ophelia"

On 2013-11-09 09:27:20 +0000, Ophelia said:

"sacha" wrote in message
. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself
longing
for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good
English
downpour.

Oh how I missed that in India!!! I so know what you mean! Another
place we lived we never saw snow. Our first winter home and it
snowed, I was so entranced that I think I stood at that window nearly
all
day. Soon get used to it again though

We always get excited about snow here, too. It doesn't happen every year
and not always in large quantities. When that happens, it does lose its
charm quickly!

Oh yes! Especially when it starts to get sludgy and mucky!

There were several smashed cars in the usual places on the moorland
roads leading into Whitby this week when they had the first hard frost
of this autumn.

Oh dear We've been in N.Yorks but nothing yet.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 12:52:07 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:53:31 +0000, Sacha

On 2013-11-09 09:27:20 +0000, Ophelia said:

"sacha" wrote in message
. While predictable weather would be lovely in many ways, when
I've experienced it over months, I just occasionally found myself longing
for a day when it wasn't inevitably sunny but there'd be a good English
downpour.

Oh how I missed that in India!!! I so know what you mean! Another
place we lived we never saw snow. Our first winter home and it
snowed, I was so entranced that I think I stood at that window nearly
all day. Soon get used to it again though

We always get excited about snow here, too. It doesn't happen every
year and not always in large quantities. When that happens, it does
lose its charm quickly!

As soon as the snow turns to ice on the roads and pavements.

It so rarely happens here but if it does, I try not to drive. I'm just
not used to it and there's exceedingly little room to manoeuvre in
these lanes. Last year, when there was some ice, Ray tried to stop an
impatient driver turning off a main road onto one of our narrow lanes.
This person pulled past him and zoomed up the lane anyway, only to zoom
back out again quickly when he saw the Tesco van sliding straight down
it towards him! Both were very lucky that a usually busy main road was
empty at the time.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com