Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone
remembers what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I
certainly don't.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a giant
rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles, getting
thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a giant
rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles, getting
thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

No, I can't say I remember any of that! The days truly were long and
sunny I don't know if anyone agrees with me but we used to have proper
summers and winters.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a
giant rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles,
getting thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

No, I can't say I remember any of that! The days truly were long and
sunny I don't know if anyone agrees with me but we used to have
proper summers and winters.

We've been keeping monthly rainfall records for about 15 years now and
the average for each month closely correlates with the average for each
month up to 1956 (my wife studied geography and has a geographic atlas
published in that year). Wettest months are Oct and Nov closely followed
by August and July.
--
bert
Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2013 13:19, bert wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes

Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Hill
writes
On 09/11/2013 13:19, bert wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes

Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bert" ] wrote in message

We've been keeping monthly rainfall records for about 15 years now and the
average for each month closely correlates with the average for each month
up to 1956 (my wife studied geography and has a geographic atlas published
in that year). Wettest months are Oct and Nov closely followed by August
and July.

Does your wife know if the summers then were better than now? Would area
make a difference? I was in East Yorks.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes

"bert" ] wrote in message

We've been keeping monthly rainfall records for about 15 years now
and the average for each month closely correlates with the average
for each month up to 1956 (my wife studied geography and has a
geographic atlas published in that year). Wettest months are Oct and
Nov closely followed by August and July.

Does your wife know if the summers then were better than now? Would
area make a difference? I was in East Yorks.

Yes and no as explained above.
" the average for each month closely correlates with the average for
each month up to 1956" I have no idea about East Yorkshire or Timbuktu
as I don't have access to a rain gauge in those places.
--
bert
Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bert" ] wrote in message
In message , Ophelia
writes

"bert" ] wrote in message

We've been keeping monthly rainfall records for about 15 years now and
the average for each month closely correlates with the average for each
month up to 1956 (my wife studied geography and has a geographic atlas
published in that year). Wettest months are Oct and Nov closely
followed by August and July.

Does your wife know if the summers then were better than now? Would area
make a difference? I was in East Yorks.

Yes and no as explained above.
" the average for each month closely correlates with the average for each
month up to 1956" I have no idea about East Yorkshire or Timbuktu as I
don't have access to a rain gauge in those places.

Ok, thanks
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the
beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a giant
rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles, getting
thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

No, I can't say I remember any of that! The days truly were long and
sunny I don't know if anyone agrees with me but we used to have proper
summers and winters.

If you ever had camping holidays you must also remember some very wet
muddy holidays too

Never went camping as a child.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

[...]

The only camping I ever did was Pony Club Camp - once. I was
absolutely freezing cold all night, the 'beds' were old army canvas
things and were beyond uncomfortable. And my horse escaped in the
middle of the night and we had to go looking for him. I swore then and
there, at the age of 13, that I'd never, ever camp again and I've
stayed true to myself!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

[...]

lol sound fair enough to me)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/8/2013 10:51 PM, Sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a giant
rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles, getting
thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

I remember having a shower in the warm rain, not wearing a stitch of
clothing - but I was only a little piccaninny, then.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I totally agree!!! I remember snow, but that was lovely too

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/