GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trying to grow Wasabi (japanese mustard) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208743-trying-grow-wasabi-japanese-mustard.html)

r brooks 19-11-2013 10:48 AM

Trying to grow Wasabi (japanese mustard)

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 19-11-2013 11:10 AM

In article , r brooks wrote:

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

No, but I looked into it. It needs consistently warm (i.e. UK 'hot')
conditions, fairly high humidity and ample water. I decided not to
bother, but you might succeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

r brooks 19-11-2013 12:49 PM

Trying to grow Wasabi (japanese mustard)

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article , r brooks
wrote:

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a
lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

No, but I looked into it. It needs consistently warm (i.e. UK 'hot')
conditions, fairly high humidity and ample water. I decided not to
bother, but you might succeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

thanks. but looks like someone has got the hang of it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...to-Wasabi.html

Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] 19-11-2013 02:22 PM

Trying to grow Wasabi (japanese mustard)

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:10:46 +0000 (GMT),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article , r brooks wrote:

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

No, but I looked into it. It needs consistently warm (i.e. UK 'hot')
conditions, fairly high humidity and ample water. I decided not to
bother, but you might succeed.

If I had any to experiment with I would be tempted to try it indoors
growing in a very big tropical fish tank half full of pebbles and
water. It would need a pump to keep the water flowing, some powerful
lights and lots of fish.

Steve

--
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus.
http://www.easynn.com

Bob Hobden 20-11-2013 05:52 PM

Trying to grow Wasabi (japanese mustard)

"r brooks" wrote

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

r brooks wrote:

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new
shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a
lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with
growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

No, but I looked into it. It needs consistently warm (i.e. UK 'hot')
conditions, fairly high humidity and ample water. I decided not to
bother, but you might succeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

thanks. but looks like someone has got the hang of it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...to-Wasabi.html

Looking at the plant in one of the links on that page it reminds me of what
we used to call "cabbage" when we went fishing. Also use to plant the roots
in the grave of our tropical aquariums for their attractive foliage, not
that they lasted too long in the warm water. I think they were actually
"Brandy Bottles" growing in fast shallow water.

Regards
Bob Hobden

David Hill 20-11-2013 07:14 PM

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article , r brooks wrote:

Have been given a piece of Wasabi root, it has a couple of tiny new shoots
on it. Have done a search on how to grow it, and seem to come across a lot
of slightly conflicting advice.

Would like to try to grow it. Has anyone here had any success with growing
it, or could recommend a website known to be reliable? Thanks.

No, but I looked into it. It needs consistently warm (i.e. UK 'hot')
conditions, fairly high humidity and ample water. I decided not to
bother, but you might succeed.

If I had any to experiment with I would be tempted to try it indoors
growing in a very big tropical fish tank half full of pebbles and
water. It would need a pump to keep the water flowing, some powerful
lights and lots of fish.

Steve

This site has some interesting pictures of Wasabi growing in Japan.
http://communingwithartifice.wordpress.com/tag/wasabi/

echinosum 21-11-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r brooks (Post 995486)
but looks like someone has got the hang of it...

British farmer discovers secret to Wasabi - Telegraph

The pictures from Japan look fairly similar to watercress cultivation and the British grower's day-job is as a watercress farmer. But although watercress is generally cultivated in a particular way, a colleague of mine tells me he grows perfectly good watercress in a normal vegetable bed: maybe the yield isn't as good that way, but it's a lot less fuss. Japan does have a serious winter with most places experiencing snow and temperatures several degrees below zero. But probably the wasabi farms don't turn into ice-skating rinks. And it is probably the getting things warm enough for long enough that matters most.