Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-01-2014, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green manure-Ryecorn or Italian Ryegrass

I try to plant green manure these days supplemented with my own compost and fish blood and bone.I have had bad experience with local rotted horse manure containing pesticide residues,and have given up using it.I tend to sow a green manure in mid August,after for example peas and potatoes have been taken up.I sow the seeds in 2" deep grooves about a foot apart as this protects attack by pigeons before germination,then dig it in in mid January so that the grown green manure has rotted away by April.
I normally use a green manure called Ryecorn,which I obtain from Tuckers.Unfortunately fresh seed for this crop tends now only to be available in
mid September from Tuckers,which I find somewhat late to obtain good growth by mid winter.
This year I have changed to Italian Ryegrass,since fresh years seed becomes available in May,and this has grown very well from its sowing last August.
I think that generally I would prefer Ryecorn,since it produces a thicker leaf and stronger root system,but it is important to use fresh seed since the germination falls off very rapidly.
I would like to know whether anyone in this group has experience of sowing green manure in August for digging-in in midwinter,and where they get their seed from.
Michael

any way to get rid of perennial ryegrass in front lawn? Ohioguy Gardening 2 21-04-2013 01:08 AM
Annual Ryegrass James Gardening 20 24-08-2010 01:44 AM
Fwd: Annual Ryegrass Frank Gardening 3 22-08-2010 02:39 PM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Rye or Ryegrass for Winter Green Mulch? Henry Cate Edible Gardening 9 22-11-2003 03:22 PM