Old 14-01-2014, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green manure-Ryecorn or Italian Ryegrass

I try to plant green manure these days supplemented with my own compost and fish blood and bone.I have had bad experience with local rotted horse manure containing pesticide residues,and have given up using it.I tend to sow a green manure in mid August,after for example peas and potatoes have been taken up.I sow the seeds in 2" deep grooves about a foot apart as this protects attack by pigeons before germination,then dig it in in mid January so that the grown green manure has rotted away by April.
I normally use a green manure called Ryecorn,which I obtain from Tuckers.Unfortunately fresh seed for this crop tends now only to be available in
mid September from Tuckers,which I find somewhat late to obtain good growth by mid winter.
This year I have changed to Italian Ryegrass,since fresh years seed becomes available in May,and this has grown very well from its sowing last August.
I think that generally I would prefer Ryecorn,since it produces a thicker leaf and stronger root system,but it is important to use fresh seed since the germination falls off very rapidly.
I would like to know whether anyone in this group has experience of sowing green manure in August for digging-in in midwinter,and where they get their seed from.
Michael
Old 14-01-2014, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote ...

[...]

I don't use it after a very bad experience with it on our clay/silt soil, it
went solid after I dug the ryegrass in as it bound it together brick like.
Another plot holder planted a strange green manure this year, it grew to 3
or 4 feet tall very quickly and looked a bit like potato hulms, not looking
so good now.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-01-2014, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/01/2014 17:26, Bob Hobden wrote:
"michael" wrote ...

[...]

Buckwheat?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-01-2014, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"michael" wrote ...

[...]

I'll ask him next time I see him, he has 6 plots so is often down there.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-01-2014, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Plotholders on our allotment site use a lot of green manure-the site is partly sandy at one end and heavy clay at the other.Most users are very happy with the result and they usually dig it in in mid January when the soil is quite damp and in a good condition for digging it in.As I have said in my earlier post ,few of our plotholders trust horse manure obtained from local farms as they do not know the origin of the material eaten by the horses,and it is almost impossible to find out-stable owners and farmers will tell you it is fine,when it generally isnt.Until Dow Chemical Company stops producing the offending herbicide,I will not touch it.I would be very surprised if noone else (apart from Bob)on this gardening forum uses Ryecorn or Ryegrass,and has some experience in sourcing a supplier apart from Tuckers
Michael

Old 16-01-2014, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote m...

[...]

If they dig it in in mid January then they aren't on clay, only once have I
been able to got on our soil in January and then it was with walking boards.
It's just too wet and sticky to do anything with except ruin any structure
there is. March is usually the earliest we can get going.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-01-2014, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 0036988c-a392-4af9-ab00-ac634ba70408
@googlegroups.com,
says...

[...]

Never used it myself, but I noticed today that the
Dobies catalogue has a page of various green manure
seeds. Never seen it before, so I assume it is a new
venture.

Online,
http://seeds.dobies.co.uk/search#w=green%20manure
But the cataglogue has a bit more info.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 16-01-2014, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:02:40 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"michael" wrote m...

[...]

I tried various green manures when I had my allotment. The best
success I ever had was when I planted mustard at the end of the
season, let it grow to 9 - 12 inches and covered the lot with black
plastic over winter. In Spring when I removed the plastic the mustard
had rotted down and the soil was friable after just a raking. I dug
out a few dandelions and bits of bindweed and was ready to go.....
No good for you now though!

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-01-2014, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"michael" wrote ...

[...]

Caliente Mustard 119.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK
Old 18-01-2014, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Caliente Mustard 119.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W.of London. UK

This might be of interest to those thinking of green manure
http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/seeds/c...-manure-seeds/

Old 18-01-2014, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On our allotment site in South Manchester,half of it has a sandy soil,and the other half heavy clay.Whereas some years ago we could not get on to the plot before March ( I have had an allotment here for 50 yrs),in the last 10-15 years,we can do some work (like turning over the plot or digging in green manure )from mid March.Must be that the climate in Manchester is changing for the better!

Old 19-01-2014, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 04:46:47 -0800 (PST), michael
wrote:

[...]

Michael is is my settings or yours? Your messages and only yours, have
no word-wrap and I have to scroll along for Miles to read your
message.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-01-2014, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-19 15:19:32 +0000, Martin said:

wrote:

[...]

It's Michael.

No problem here!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-01-2014, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 04:46:47 -0800 (PST), michael
wrote:

snippy

No problem here!

Wraps ok here too
--
Pete C
adventure before dementure

any way to get rid of perennial ryegrass in front lawn? Ohioguy Gardening 2 21-04-2013 01:08 AM
Annual Ryegrass James Gardening 20 24-08-2010 01:44 AM
Fwd: Annual Ryegrass Frank Gardening 3 22-08-2010 02:39 PM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Rye or Ryegrass for Winter Green Mulch? Henry Cate Edible Gardening 9 22-11-2003 03:22 PM