Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tulips in the green

Is it possible to move tulips "in the green" as a few have poked up above
the ground in an unwanted spot? I know you can do this with snowdrops
without a problem, but does the same thing apply to tulips, or are they best
left alone until dieback in early summer?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/02/2014 19:38, Frank Booth wrote:
Is it possible to move tulips "in the green" as a few have poked up above
the ground in an unwanted spot? I know you can do this with snowdrops
without a problem, but does the same thing apply to tulips, or are they best
left alone until dieback in early summer?

If you move them now, you'll have to be very careful, but I think I
would attempt it regardless of what the books might say. Sometimes a
job just has to be done.

Remember that, unlike other plants, a bulb's roots do not regrow or
repair once damaged. They can only be replaced the following year. So
lift them with great care and replant gently, preferably on a mound of
loose gritty compost (esp if the roots come uyp bare) so that the roots
are gently spread and have good drainage. Water them in and let them
get on with it. If you're careful, they should flower this spring but,
if not, certainly the next. Good luck.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/02/2014 22:46, Spider wrote:
[...]

If they are not to much in the way I'd leave them.
I find tulips to be hard to get to flower again unless they are species
which seem to do much better for me.
David
Old 02-02-2014, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

A lot depends on the type. I find the shorter ones like Kaifmannianas and
Greigiis do come back to flower each year and spread. You just leave them
in the soil. The Fosteranias and Darwyn Hybrids are supposed to be reliable
too for repeat flowering, but I've not tested those out yet to be sure..