GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Impregnating a tree stump for burning out? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209406-impregnating-tree-stump-burning-out.html)

Spider[_3_] 25-03-2014 02:10 PM

Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

On 25/03/2014 12:10, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:53:52 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 24/03/2014 11:25, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I've got an old cherry tree stump which I really want rid of. It's
probably about 10" high by 15" across, and the problem is that it's in
an awkward position at the foot of a banked area, and surrounded by
paving stones, so would be very disruptive and difficult to dig out.
It's inaccessible to a tree stump grinder (other than maybe something
hand- held).

Burning it out seems the way forward, and I've tried several times (over
years), burying the thing in burning coal. Trouble is the stump doesn't
really burn much as such; it just chars over, and has got quite dished
on top, but there's a lot more to go. Anyway, it occurred to me that
maybe I could try again this summer but first impregnate the remaining
timber over a period of time (maybe honeycombing it with a drill first)
to encourage it to burn properly. Anyone tried this? What would be good
to use, that wouldn't just evaporate off?

I'm not after getting the whole thing out - if I just get the stump
below ground level and cover it with a plant tub or something, that
would be fine!

Or any other constructive ideas!?

Just a thought, thermite ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

A *termite* would enjoy doing it, but then it would probably eat all the
wood in your house :-/

Thermite is a bit hotter than a termite. :-)

Is that because it swallowed an 'h' for hot? ;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Spider[_3_] 25-03-2014 02:52 PM

On 25/03/2014 14:41, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:10:14 +0000, Spider wrote:

Thermite is a bit hotter than a termite. :-)

Is that because it swallowed an 'h' for hot? ;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

Digging a hole? :-P

Well, I am a gardener. I'm allowed to do that ;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Tim Watts[_3_] 25-03-2014 03:21 PM

Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

On 25/03/14 11:50, Spider wrote:
On 24/03/2014 11:00, Tim Watts wrote:
On 24/03/14 09:43, Martin Brown wrote:

I'd tend to favour digging it out.

or just hire a bloke with a stump grinder in and get instant
satisfaction.

The OP said there wasn't access for a stump grinder.

Sorry - missed that...

Tim Watts[_3_] 25-03-2014 03:22 PM

On 25/03/14 12:10, Martin wrote:

Thermite is a bit hotter than a termite. :-)

Unless you ask an irishman, then they are the same thing ;-

Grimly Curmudgeon[_2_] 30-03-2014 11:30 PM

Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Or any other constructive ideas!?

Drill deep 1" holes in it and fill them with Gromore or any other
granulated fertiliser. Stand back and light blue touchpaper... err,
wait a couple of years.

g 04-01-2020 04:44 PM

Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

replying to harryagain, g wrote:
We've used mushroom spores and found it to be VERY effective.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ut-963320-.htm