Old 13-04-2014, 01:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Finally!

In article ,
says...

On 2014-04-12 14:13:11 +0000, Paul Luton said:

On 08/04/2014 23:10, Sacha wrote:
Finally and at last, a gardening programme for grown ups - experienced
gardeners or not - BBC4's British Gardens In Time. If tonight's episode
is anything to go by, it's a winner and a keeper. Nobody is teaching or
preaching here but they are *explaining* how a garden came into being,
what the thinking and the person behind it was about. We enjoyed it
enormously and imo, it's inspirational. The only jarring note was the
comment on Christopher Lloyd's sexual inclinations which are of
absolutely no importance whatsoever in the context of his garden. This
is shaping up to be very good indeed.

Sasha , those of us who enjoy your contributions will have no doubts
about the direction of your "sexual inclinations" unless you have been
using an elaborate code. The programme looked at Great Dixter in terms
of Christopher Lloyd's character. Being gay is one significant aspect
of that. As the programmes develop I would bet that there will be no
doubt of the heterosexuality of most of the garden makers.

You think his garden was somehow affected or defined by his sexuality
- or vice versa? I can't agree with that.

You might as well argue that his relationship with his repressive mother
had no effect.

The program was trying to set his part in the creation of that garden
in some kind of historic context. When consensual sex between adult men
was still a criminal offence that "dared not speak its name", that had
some effect on how homosexuals could publically assert their identity.
Lloyd was almost 50 before homosexuality was decriminalised. I don't
think it's purely coincidental his garden style expressed an
irrepressible, flamboyantly defiant rejection of convention.

Janet.
Old 13-04-2014, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 20:53, sacha wrote:
On 2014-04-12 14:13:11 +0000, Paul Luton said:

[...]

or vice versa? I can't agree with that. Fergus, who now runs the garden
is married heterosexually. Better than anyone els, he knows what that
garden means, what it 'does', how it works but is not gay. He's just
amazingly good at what he does, as was Mr Lloyd. I don't think anyone's
sexuality has anything to do with me or anyone else, be it their garden,
their drawing room, their bathroom or their toothpaste of choice. It is
totally irrelevant in terms of 'need to know'. All we 'need to know' is
that they garden well or not. I detest the fact that sexuality seems to
come into every report, conversation or summation nowadays. Interesting
that you spell my name with the female variant, however, while I am a
hetero female who doesn't. ;-)

Oops sorry Sacha. - but in a way that just goes to show about
assumptions. Will revealing sexuality be less problematic when in the
form of a casual reference to his husband or her wife ? Clearly
reference to his wife, her husband is totally acceptable.

Regards

Paul

Old 13-04-2014, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-12 14:13:11 +0000, Paul Luton said:

[...]

I just thought it was funny. ;-) I daresay that as time goes on, we'll
hear and become accustomed to a man talk of 'my husband' and a woman
'my wife'. To me, that remark was all just part of the prurient
interest the media seems to encourage in others' sex lives! Good
programme nonetheless, really good and we're looking forward to the
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Old 14-04-2014, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-12 14:13:11 +0000, Paul Luton said:

[...]

nonetheless, really good and we're looking forward to the next in that
series.

Totally agree with that one.

Paul
Old 14-04-2014, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-12 14:13:11 +0000, Paul Luton said:

[...]

I liked the one about the football mad vicar who at the end of the
ceremony where he had married his first pair of men declared

"I now pronounce you Men United"

Old 14-04-2014, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-12 14:13:11 +0000, Paul Luton said:

[...]

Lovely! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com