GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Under the gooseberry bush (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/209689-under-gooseberry-bush.html)

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 08-05-2014 07:53 PM

Under the gooseberry bush

I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Spider[_3_] 08-05-2014 10:40 PM

Under the gooseberry bush

On 08/05/2014 19:53, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Apparently they do. Scroll down on the link to "How to Grow" and you
will see a planting instruction which advocates the removal of basal
buds ...

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit...tion/cww3350TM

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Bob Hobden 08-05-2014 11:09 PM

Under the gooseberry bush

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

They are so easy from cuttings and grow on so well that there would be
little point in grafting but you never know, maybe they have grafted onto an
American gooseberry which is a different species.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 09-05-2014 10:39 AM

Under the gooseberry bush

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

They are so easy from cuttings and grow on so well that there would be
little point in grafting but you never know, maybe they have grafted onto an
American gooseberry which is a different species.

I didn't think of the obvious answer! I removed it, and it was a
seedling that I had previously taken fopr a sucker.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden 09-05-2014 05:05 PM

Under the gooseberry bush

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:

I have two gooseberry bushes, but one has thrown a couple of new
shoots where the stems are far more prickly (rather than thorny)
than the main plant, and the leaves are far larger, much less
lobed and much lighter in colour.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Nobody grafts gooseberry bushes,
do they?

They are so easy from cuttings and grow on so well that there would be
little point in grafting but you never know, maybe they have grafted onto
an
American gooseberry which is a different species.

I didn't think of the obvious answer! I removed it, and it was a
seedling that I had previously taken fopr a sucker.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that sort of thing. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.